Ask about Judaism

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
red letter man

Re: Ask about Judaism

Post by red letter man »

Agricola,I have a question...Back in the 1960's my grandmother ( mother's mother) would show us a small certificate she was awarded and very proud of. It was all in Yiddish ( I hope that is correct, no wish to offend) and I remember thinking it said "Honorary Diploma". She was originally from Poland, Catholic not Jewish. I think a cousin still has the smallish card, haven't seen it for years. No idea what or why...would you have any idea what that might be? Thank you.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Well.

Not really. But if it was in Yiddish (that's the name of a language and, to some extent, a culture), then it came from a Jewish organization or school.

Polish children did not attend Jewish schools. I'd be VERY interested (if I were you) to find out more about your grandmother!

Do you know her maiden name, for instance?

However, unless she told you it was Yiddish, it could be in Polish. The Polish alphabet doesn't look very much like English.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
red letter man

Post by red letter man »

agri, thanks for your reply. It definitely was Yiddish (perhaps with polish subtitles) and I recall her saying it somehow meant she could go live in Israel if she wanted to. She never left the States when she emigrated from Poland after the war. I shall try to research that side of the family ( she's been dead many years now.) My mother had some Jewish friends, but I know none to ask.( Not that you're not a friend...well I did ask you...you know what I mean...I hope.) I know little about Judaism, but am emboldened enough to say to you Shalom.( Not just as a greeting, but as my wish for you.) Sometimes when I stumble onto some anti-Semitic propaganda saying "The Jews are gonna rule the world", I think of Billy Crystal and think maybe that might not be a bad idea. But I digress...sorry.
agricola

Post by agricola »

IS there any possibility that your grandmother was Jewish?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
red letter man

Post by red letter man »

Negative. No family or oral history to indicate otherwise, just Catholic. Whilst Israel probably would not prohibit immigration from properly documented individuals, why she thought she would get a "free pass" is beyond me. Especially not having applied to do so. No matter now...much time has passed. I had always been curious about it...
agricola

Post by agricola »

Who has the certificate now? You could scan it and get a copy to someone who can translate it for you.
red letter man

Post by red letter man »

It might take awhile to track it down. Family scattered, contacts lost, but I will pursue that route. Thank you for your interest.
agricola

Post by agricola »

We are planning a 'Shabbaton'.
A Shabbaton is (usually) a gathering for the purpose of group study and socializing, usually held (as you might expect from the name) on Shabbat. Studying is (for Jews) a basic form of worship, so having a Shabbaton is a very common and popular activity.

Our Shabbaton will be the first weekend in March and we are going to be studying about Rabbi Nachman of Breslov - a very interesting individual from the first generations of the Hasidic movement.

(from the Wikipedia bio)
Rebbe Nachman, a great-grandson of the Baal Shem Tov, breathed new life into the Hasidic movement by combining the esoteric secrets of Judaism (the Kabbalah) with in-depth Torah scholarship. He attracted thousands of followers during his lifetime and his influence continues until today through many Hasidic movements such as Breslov Hasidism.[1] Rebbe Nachman's religious philosophy revolved around closeness to God and speaking to God in normal conversation "as you would with a best friend."
Most of the major early leaders of Hasidic groups ended up establishing family dynasties (some are now in their eighth or ninth generation). Nachman is an anomaly here: after his death (at the early age of 38), his followers continued to follow - Nachman. They never replaced him as their leader, and the Breslovers even today go to 'Nachman' for all their questions - by reading the stories and tales, poems and prayers, that Nachman left behind. Instead of a living 'rebbe', they maintain Rabbi Nachman's CHAIR (it was taken apart and smuggled out of Europe in pieces during WW2 and reassembled in Israel) and the writings of R. Nachman are read and discussed daily.

One thing R. Nachman taught was that one should worship God all the time, even during singing and dancing, with joy. His followers are well known for dancing in the streets.. 'It is a great mitzvah to be happy always!' said R. Nachman.

h**p://nanachnation.org/?gclid=CJarvrzzjssCFQyHaQod9bICMQ
agricola

Post by agricola »

Happy Purim!

Today is the Feast of Purim - this is huge in Israel, and people go around in costumes for (sometimes) days in advance. Parties, street fairs, carnivals - it is sort of similar to a Mardi Gras.
The 'religious' part of the observance is to go to synagogue where the Whole Megillah (that is, the Book of Esther in a special scroll) is read aloud - by people in costumes, to people in costumes, with NOISEMAKERS. Every time the name 'Haman' is read, everybody spins their groggers (a REALLY loud rattling sort of thing) or stamps their feet (or both) and BOOS. The reader gets cheers if he can recite the names of all ten of Haman's sons in one breath (they are listed near the end as they all get hanged).

It gets pretty raucous.

On Purim, it is a tradition to eat and drink (like the courtiers did at the king's parties, right?) until you are too drunk to tell Mordechai from Haman. (This is the one and only time when Jews are ever supposed to actually drink enough to get past mildly tiddly). People give small gifts consisting of snacks and drinks. The traditional 'food' is a three cornered cookie called hamantaschen (either Haman's Hat or Haman's Ears) stuffed with (usually) some kind of fruit, fruit jelly, chocolate or poppy seeds. Anything, really.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

chag sameach