Ask about Judaism

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Ask about Judaism

Post by agricola »

http://www.kabbalah-arizal.nl/eng.html

There. that's a decent site.

Here's a pretty straightforward image of the 'Ten Sephirot':

History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

And here's Rabbi Caro's synagogue (where he prayed in the 16th century) in Safed -

History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=images+sefirot+kabbalah&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

That link should take you to the search page for images from kabbalah - have fun - some of them are truly beautiful!
agricola

Post by agricola »

Change of topic -
okay, so Passover starts this evening at sundown, which of course is the night of the full moon - did you guys realize that most jewish holy days are either full moon or new moon nights?
Rosh Hashana: new moon (of the seventh month, so it is the 'Sabbath of months'). (BTW, RH didn't become the head of the YEAR until later - and Jewish years start with RH, but the first MONTH is still in the springtime - are you confused yet?)
Purim: full moon
Passover: full moon
Sukkot (aka Booths, or 'Tabernacles'): full moon

Chanukah, on the other hand, is an historical date, so it doesn't relate to the moon, BUT it does relate to Sukkot, because ...well, just because they wanted to do that, really.
agricola

Post by agricola »

So I got distracted.

I am massively cleaning the kitchen currently and I need to be done soon so I can start cooking for the seder. We are having that at a friend's house, because she has a house big enough for forty people to sit down for dinner. I'm bringing chicken, vegetables, wine, matzo, three shankbones, some horseradish, a bunch of kippot (yarmulkes), charoset and probably some other stuff. I expect a call or two (or five) before we head out.

Cleaning for Passover is sort of like spring cleaning on steroids, and I do the minimum necessary. So far I have the stove done, the pantry cleared, and the silverware. I still have to finish the fridge and the countertops and sinks. The rest of the house my husband is taking care of. He has a carpet cleaning machine.

It's a good time to look at expiration dates on spices and toss the old ones, among other useful things to clear out.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Don't let Xenu steal your seder brisket this year. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

This year I'm sticking to chicken.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

agricola wrote:This year I'm sticking to chicken.

Xenu hates chicken. You should be safe.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

We had forty people sit down for dinner, and we didn't get out of there until 11 pm. Three different kinds of chicken dishes, plus brisket. Four kinds of kugels - two potato, one carrot, one sweet potato. At least two varieties of charoset and both regular and beet horseradish. Add wide ranging discussions, a trip through the ENTIRE Haggadah start to end, and at least SOME singing that wasn't completely horrible, and we had a great time.

Once I get some pictures off the camera, I'll see if I can post something.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.