Hello

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Scott

Hello

Post by Scott »

I was raised a Catholic. Spent my teenage years drinking and smoking pot with my friends. I was smoking pot on the bus to Middle School. After my Sister died in a car accident when I was about 19 or 20 I started going back to the Catholic church but this time with a "bit" more maturity. Started reading the Bible on my own and asking questions at least to myself. Studied with Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, and went to some Pentacostal Churches. Came across a COC flyer one day and that was it. Seemed to be so right. Stayed there for I think 3 or 4 years or so, can't even remember anymore. I left because I just couldn't confess my sins, I was faking it. The biggest thing for me was that I was still smoking cigarettes, not because I wanted to but because I am addicted. I attempted to hide it. Pretty hard to do. Anyway I left the COC pretty dramatically and they were coming after me but I hid long enough for them to forget about me. Anyway they were all nice, I was part of them. I kind of miss them all but that was a long time ago now. I am 52 now so that was about 27 years ago. I still study the Bible periodically and argue with my wife who is very Catholic. I rarely go to Church but I still believe in Jesus. I listen to Christian radio alot. I think I learned much about the Bible from the COC but I found it hard to be honest with them about my sins. Just seems to me that all the Christian denominations have some flaws but the COC thinks they are the only true Church, But anyway so do the Catholics. I can only assume that Jesus died on the cross not only for the sins of people but for the Churches themselves since all Churches must be flawed in some way. Anyway sorry for ranting.
bnot

Re: Hello

Post by bnot »

Welcome! This is a place for rants, so feel free. :D
Grace

Post by Grace »

Welcome. I have not been here that long, but it is a supportive place and rants are allowed.

I too am trying to find a church that is a good fit.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome, Scott. Rant away!! We've all done it and understand.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

WELCOME :D

Rants are acceptable and needed; they serve to flush the system of all the traditional garbage accumulated over the years while in the CoC. RANT ON!
Unity in diversity
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Glad to have you here. In my younger days, smoking was not forbidden. My dad was an elder, and he smoked outside between class and worship services.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages