Hello new friends

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Aces

Hello new friends

Post by Aces »

Hi,
I left the coc back when I was 18. I flopped around like a fish out of water. I knew nothing about sexuality, or how to make friends, I was a child in many ways. All I knew was that I wanted out. The emotional baggage that I left with is still with me. I fight against it everyday. I am 62 years old.

I married right away and had 2 kids. This marriage lasted 6 years, it should have been a one night stand. I had 2 more marriages which failed, no more kids.

I went into therapy at 28. My recovery began with the discovery of one word; Hope. I realized that I could not go back to a hopeless ren. I also found out about Acceptance, a very powerful and healing word. Next I learned the meaning of Love, also a healing word. Next I experienced a word which saved my life; Joy. I had never felt these true emotions from reading the bible or while in the coc.

I have been happily married for many years now. I have children and grandchildren whom I protect from the coc.

I have a new spirituality. I am totally Pagan. There is a hot coal that still burns in the back of my mind which will not heal. That is my hatred of all things christian, the bible, and the coc.

I have a large family. All coc. Few talk with me. None of my close family will speak with me. I have never been invited to Thanksgiving at their homes, even though they have been gathering there every year. Nor have they invited my wife of 21 years, or my children. When my mother died they did not tell me. When my father died, they did not call me. When my brother died, they did not call me.

I weep for them. They have never known Love.

The junk that I was force fed as a child is a terrible scar which will not heal completely. Until yesterday I thought I was alone, until I found you all. I hope that you will accept me.

I send you all Love and Hope for your life.
AtPeace

Re: Hello new friends

Post by AtPeace »

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the board.

It's wonderful that you found a way to live a meaningful life.

You had your children very young (at least by today's standards), so I guess they're both now about in their 40s? How have they processed the whole "religion" thing as a result of your journey?
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
Aces

Post by Aces »

Yes, I had children very young. They are in their 40's. I treated them as I was treated by my father. I exposed them only mildly to the coc as they grew up. They think the coc is strange, which conclusion they came to on their own.

I was abusive to them. Mildly, but enough to drive them away. We are not close now. I have had to learn that the abuse from my coc family was not normal. Then I had to learn how to deal with it to stop my abusing them, which I did.

Seems that every bad thing in my life has its roots in the coc.

They are free of the coc. That is the best thing that I could do for them. And I Love them very much. I leave the light on for them.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Blessings on you, and of course welcome!
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board! You are not alone.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
bnot

Post by bnot »

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. The church of the cold hearted has destroyed too many families.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

Welcome.
Aces

Post by Aces »

Thank you all for your kind words of welcome.
katisha

Post by katisha »

welcome.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
Ramblin' Jack

Post by Ramblin' Jack »

Welcome Aces.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I hope you find this board to be a great resource. I know I have.