Former one cupper

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
B.H.

Re: Former one cupper

Post by B.H. »

I was raised non sunday school but used the little cups in the communion. I did visit a one cup church a lot because the preacher was my friend. I visited enough to know the things you no doubt speak of.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:I was raised non sunday school but used the little cups in the communion. I did visit a one cup church a lot because the preacher was my friend. I visited enough to know the things you no doubt speak of.
I always thought that "one cup" and "non-sunday school" went hand in hand but....apparently not. Who knew?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Opie

Post by Opie »

There are at least 15-20 different divisions in the CoC denomination.... one cuppers, non-Sunday school, etc plus various combinations. Most of them also claim that they alone the One True Church, with all the others being pretenders and 'false teachers'. The legalism can become mind-boggling!
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
GMan

Post by GMan »

Opie wrote:There are at least 15-20 different divisions in the CoC denomination.... one cuppers, non-Sunday school, etc plus various combinations. Most of them also claim that they alone the One True Church, with all the others being pretenders and 'false teachers'. The legalism can become mind-boggling!
At one time I heard that the "one true church" had something like 27 different groups. I find that a bit too small.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
KLP

Post by KLP »

Welcome. Glad you are here. I think there is very little One Cupper representation here, so your POV will be special.

Yes, when I discovered yet another parallel universe (multi-cup, non-Sunday School, institutional) I too was amazed they had their own collection of congregations. I stumbled on to them in Texas and California. The ones I visited all had facilities for eating in the building. One in Bakersfield had these banners hanging around the odditorium...having decorations and slogans on the walls was very odd for a CofC in my experience.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:Welcome. Glad you are here. I think there is very little One Cupper representation here, so your POV will be special.

Yes, when I discovered yet another parallel universe (multi-cup, non-Sunday School, institutional) I too was amazed they had their own collection of congregations. I stumbled on to them in Texas and California. The ones I visited all had facilities for eating in the building. One in Bakersfield had these banners hanging around the odditorium...having decorations and slogans on the walls was very odd for a CofC in my experience.

KLP the non-Sunday School churches to a large degree have no problems putting up a Christmas tree in the building or celebrating Easter as the day Christ supposedly rose from the dead. In many way they are more permissive than the more mainline CoC and some even teach they may not neccessarily the the one true church and work with other denominations.

The are like 5 or 6 divisions of the one cuppers. This ranges from using instruments in worship to using sunday school to no divorce or remarraige for any reason. At one time there were some among them who believed in the real presence. Most do not use Sunday School, most permit divorce and remarriage if your spouse cheated on you.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

Circuitsndaisies wrote: left the church, got divorced...my ex is back in the church now (he claimed the exception so I was the big ol sinner-gross) which means my kids have to go when they visit him. They hate it. HATE it. The legalism, sexism, judgement, and exclusivity are just overwhelming.
Welcome here. Your experience with divorce in the CoC is not unique. I am aware of another with in my own family. The man was fooling around as usual and blamed the wife for fooling around. She was not. He ended up remarried and she didn't. Part of the problem is that divorce was grudgingly allowed in the Old Testament by God. I say grudgingly because God did not like it but allowed it. I know of many other divorces within the kids I went to church with. It runs about half. The Church of Christ is judgmental and famous for getting it wrong. Their divorce rate is not a shining example. They are many living in marriages while spiritually divorced. That is worse. I am sure there are many here that have experienced that

Matt 19:8 KJV saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

They of course they focus on passages later to make their point while ignoring the surrounding passages. The verses they focus on follow this passage. Jesus is making a point while the legalists make it a law. Much too dangerous to have a mate fooling around. Look up cervical cancer. There is a strain of human papilloma viris that you cannot see even gays get anal cancer from the same virus. Its rather obvious that males are the carriers.