Really?

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
red letter man

Really?

Post by red letter man »

Really? I somehow expect to find more love and understanding from an online group of strangers than my "church family"? That I could find more fellowship here even in my anonymity? Despite my trepidation about "joining" anything ever again, I find myself here. For the previously stated reasons...I humbly reach out my hand to you
on this Christmas morning. Whomever you are, whatever path you may be on I greet you. As a beggar seeking a crust of bread...
FinallyFree

Re: Really?

Post by FinallyFree »

Merry Christmas, red letter man. Welcome! Hope you will find some comfort here.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome. Fortunately, we don't require lifetime commitment when you join us!
:mrgreen:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
KLP

Post by KLP »

Well, sure you are welcome, but before we can give you from the treasury we will need to verify your membership at sound congregation. Greetings and well wished on your journey..be ye warmed and filled. ;)

So how many years were you in for? How long since you left? Share any details (or none) ...but we enjoy meeting new people, hearing new things and observing how much is not new, but held in common.

Welcome
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Hey there! Browse around - and tell us more!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
red letter man

Post by red letter man »

I didn't open the doors, but I was there when they were opened... not so much on Wednesday nights after awhile..." Mom, I know Dad is blind now and can't spoon feed you your Ensure while you are dying of breast cancer, but I must be off to church to talk about the biblical reason for repaving the parking lot." ( Going to hell for saying breast...) And Jesus said " Verily, I say unto you, in order to enter the kingdom of heaven, ye must repave and sin no more..."

Sorry if I sound a wee bit bitter- I'm working on that...all about works, I know...
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I would serve you more than a crust. I's feed you a full meal and give you a dessert too.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
red letter man

Post by red letter man »

"So how many years were you in for? How long since you left? Share any details "
I was in for 14 years, the last year in solitary...Gone several years now. I was converted, met my lovely longtime CofC wife in the church. First few years were wonderful, I liked the idea of a return to the early church. But as a new convert, I had a few questions...( "We never question that"- well I just did...) One day the sweet old church secretary was suddenly fired...and my wife stepped in to "fill the void." Her "work" soon began to take up all her time...why do church secretaries need "overnight stays"? We began to have marital problems, I was being counseled by the preacher ( who was not trained to do so) and all my problems stemmed from my not being a good husband. (I was a bit disconcerted by his concern over my sex life, and my "husbandly duties"...)
I suspected my wife was having an affair, but as I had just lost my job (due to downsizing) mother had cancer, dad blind, and trying to serve the church I became overwhelmed. After another confrontation with the preacher, in my frustration I asked " Were you really called to preach or just butt dialed?" Elders overheard, I was asked to leave and never return. (I did, and will never.) I eventually learned who the mystery man was my wife was having an affair with. I had seen him in the pulpit many times...
"... Was blind, but NOW I see..."
OK, got that off my chest...I'll try to be a "good boy".

I have read the website, and the blog (not all the archives yet) I really appreciate the thought and effort (and biblical references) put forth, and it answered many questions I have had.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Sorry to hear that, and yes that sounds about right. You might find some insight in Scott Peck's "people of the lie" book, at least the first half or so. He deals with the need these folks have in being seen as virtuous as that is the basis for their position in "society" and how they must destroy anyone who threatens that basis. Or maybe you have dealt with it and already understand it. Maybe even been to a real professional to seek some sort of therapy.

Wishing you well in the new year and getting to hear new voiced.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.