Introduction

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
GMan

Re: Introduction

Post by GMan »

Glad to have you with us. Many can relate to what you experienced. Enjoy and get a laugh or two here, along with some moral support.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Good to have you aboard. Tons of people here that share your frustrations with the CoC.
Unity in diversity
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome. You are among friends. You might want to check out http://www.reveal.com Itis for people who have left the ICOC or Boston movement COC. That splinter group is even crazier than most other COCs. There are cult-like aspects in many COCs, but the ICOC groups have even more.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

Hi jryan,

Thank you for sharing some things about your history. I am so sorry those things happened to you. I really am.

It sounds to me like you were in a CoC that is a very tiny percentage of what the majority, mainstream CoC is. It sounds like you were in a very cloistered group that made up a lot of its own "doctrine" and became a sick system isolated from anyone or anything that would shine light on the its dysfunction (therefore, the IRS issue).

This is not the norm in my life-long experience in the mainstream CoC.

Glad you're here....
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the board -

I've never heard of a coc that sounds like the one you describe - but hey...anything can happen, because nothing is set in stone as long as some influential preacher-type can influence other people to believe something else.

klp's summary is very good though.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

Welcome Jryan! I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I hope we can be of help to you.

I second checking out reveal.org. I had some friends in the ICOC and they reported the same kinds of behaviors.

I'm so sorry the church involved itself in your marriage. That is not its role, but as klp and others said, salvation trumps everything, especially boundaries.
jryan17

Post by jryan17 »

yes, they are extremely cloistered. The core members (the ones that survived all the splits) avoid associating with anyone outside the church other than immediate family - always thought that was odd...

Yeah the IRS thing was weird...one Sunday morning an Elder gets up and says "church owes 65,000 to IRS" ...no details other than "back payroll taxes" and "don't talk about it in the community"