Greetings and hallucinations

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
mistertroll

Greetings and hallucinations

Post by mistertroll »

Following a trail of old experiences and names, one of which led me here.

I'm not too concerned about my own anonymity here, but realize others may be concerned as to theirs, so I will be considerate, should I recognize someone from my past. I dare say there will be one or two who will know me quite quickly. If you would care to let me know how you fit into my past, I will enjoy that connection. If I over-share, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Quite some time ago, I came to a level of comfort with "The god of my misunderstanding" and no longer subscribe to any religious formula. The phrase "Zen Buddhism" is probably as accurate as any, except I know nothing of Buddhism. I describe myself as an optimistically nihilistic existentialist. We're all going to hell in a bucket, so we may as well enjoy the ride. That is tongue-in-cheek, but bears much truth.

I grew up in hardline coc congregations, mostly in Texas, in the fifties and sixties, and as a child was in men's training classes from the age of 8 or so, and was baptized at nine by a preacher who later ran off with someone's wife and the treasury, I think. I led singing on Sunday and Wednesday nights from the age of ten or so and presented short sermons of my own device. My family was involved in the establishment of numerous congregations, including one that would be somewhat historic. Dad's heart's desire was that I be an engineer or a "minister of the word". I tried, but failed in glorious and rather public fashion. I was one of those hippie Jesus Freaks through the sixties and seventies, "depending on the lord" for shelter and sustenance many times.

I'm currently 66 years old and live with my 90-year-old still hard-core coc dad, with whom I have never had a good relationship. I've known all my life that when this part of his life came along, it would be up to me to be there for him, and circumstances a few years ago presented me with no choice but to accept that role. I keep him out of the nursing home, he keeps me off the streets. There was an unmistakable divine intervention that brought this about. We have reached a pretty stable level of detente that only gets shaken when he starts with the authoritarian coc attitude, which I have finally learned how to stand up to and squelch when it gets to the point of ridiculousness, Usually, I can let it pass like a fart on the wind, but not always.

I frequently have to bite my tongue when reading some of his extensive missives on faith and doctrine and hearing his harangues on his perception of life through his coc goggles. Perhaps the reader can imagine the tone his "autobiography" takes.

Anyway, I'm not here looking for answers or debate. Just thought it would be interesting to be among folks who have similar backgrounds and have found ways to work around the mind pollution of our earlier years. Sometimes the tapes do start playing, and it's good to know there are folks who might know where to find the "off" switch.

End of ramble...
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch, and nobody gets hurt.
bnot

Re: Greetings and hallucinations

Post by bnot »

Thanks for sharing, and welcome. :D
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board, pull out a chair and join the party.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

We're all going to hell in a bucket
We were always told "going to Hell in a "hand basket" ..... Just saying

Welcome
mistertroll

Post by mistertroll »

Porcupine wrote:
We're all going to hell in a bucket
We were always told "going to Hell in a "hand basket" ..... Just saying

Welcome
Grateful Dead quote from their song "Hell in a Bucket".
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch, and nobody gets hurt.
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

Loved your intro. Glad you're here!
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome from another Texan in your age group. I lived mostly in Austin. How in the heck can someone stay in the conservative COC in AUSTIN for as long as I did? :lol: :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:Welcome from another Texan in your age group. I lived mostly in Austin. How in the heck can someone stay in the conservative COC in AUSTIN for as long as I did? :lol: :lol:
Wait. I resemble that remark. :mrgreen:

Welcome, mistertroll. No recognition yet......but we could well have crossed paths at some point.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~