New Here - My quest to discover What is the church?

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
BlessedWifeAndMama

New Here - My quest to discover What is the church?

Post by BlessedWifeAndMama »

Hello all! Not much into intros :) But I will give it a shot.... I have been challenged the last few years to defend my faith and it led to re-thinking "what am I doing these few hours each week?" What is the church? What does it mean in Mark 10:30 we will receive 100 mothers, brothers and sisters... I haven't officially "left" the coc yet - I am GREATLY torn as I cant help but feel I have not done all I can to warn others of the fire... Yet I can't stand the checklist worship service and classes, they are sooo not what is spoken of by our Messiah! My greatest need is prayer I can be courageous and not wimp out fearing the rejection that occurs, those name calling, and the other things my family has experienced in the past when leaving other coc groups to go to a different coc one... leaving all together now is two-fold - it's that hurtful side but even greater is my duty to warn others about the traditions we have set up and hold so fast to under the guise of "worshipping in spirit and in truth"

The last year has been one filled with lots of changes! I happened across a website, similar to this one but not specifically about coc, just general Christian 'churches' and was blown away that someone else GOT IT! That YES there were OTHERS who have had these questions and had come up with conclusions far from the "worship services" we have today, rather the ekkesia is a family, it's one that labors over one another, it's involved in one anothers lives the power is evident through the love they show one another and towards all! It's not about being perfect, rather are we going to continue in sin or are our hearts soft that we will flee from sin - do we welcome others warning us of sin in our lives or do we hide and lash out at those who attempt to labor over us? We can't have those types of relationships just sitting next to someone once or twice a week - it takes being involved sacrificing for one another that we can build one another up and carry one anothers burdens....

So - now I am at a point I see the errors that have been taught to us and realize I will not find the relationship in the traditional meet on sunday/Wednesday religious groups - rather it will be found when I allow my will to be thrown aside and seek first the kingdom of God

~BlessedWifeAndMama
~BlessedWifeAndMama
GMan

Re: New Here - My quest to discover What is the church?

Post by GMan »

Really glad to meet you, welcome.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Opie

Post by Opie »

Glad you're here. Being a follower of Christ is a lot different than being part of a denomination called the Church of Christ. Good luck on your journey.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
bnot

Post by bnot »

Oh the errors, there are so many. But Welcome!! Glad you are here :D
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

Hi. You are more than welcome to be here, but this may not be the right board for the questions you're asking. You seem to be wanting to be heavily involved in other same-believers' lives (and vice versa) in order to point out errors in their lives in order to save them from hell. I'm not sure you'll find answers to that here.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Too soon to tell really!
However - this is a SUPPORT board. If someone wants to talk doctrine pro and con typical coc with members and former members, there is a dialog forum on 'the other side' of the ex-coc board. Main portal also has plenty of interesting content about Christian doctrines and coc-specific versions, which I for one found very interesting.

If you haven't visited the main portal (www.ex-churchofchrist.com) then it is worth a visit.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.