Greetings --- my beliefs

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
DAC

Greetings --- my beliefs

Post by DAC »

Greetings.

My beliefs:

1. The Israelites brought Satan home with them from dualistic Babylon.
2. There is no Trinity. The Spirit of Holiness is not a "person."
3. No "eternal existence" for those who "die in their sins." Only annihilation.

Just clearing some ground. :D
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. ~Pr. 3:5-6

Love animals; God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. ~Dostoyevsky
DAC

Re: Hi

Post by DAC »

Wow. Didn't know this board was dying. Too bad.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. ~Pr. 3:5-6

Love animals; God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. ~Dostoyevsky
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

HI Dac

What probably feels to you like a big deal, is no big deal on the Support Board. You might be interested in the Discussion Board. But CoC folks now give that Board a wide berth. The ex-CoC tend to be hard on them.

N T Wright has said the Bible describes the Trinity a lot better than the later Christian efforts do: "From very early in Christianity the spirit became part of the new revolutionary definition of God himself ; 'the one who sends the son and the spirit of the son'.

As to dualism, there is no hint of dualism in the OT, that I am aware of. In Job's poem, Satan can only do what God allows.

Annihilation is certainly more in line with Christ Jesus' teaching and Paul's view of things, IMO, than the idea of eternal torment. The idea of eternal torment assumes that there is a part of us that God cannot destroy.
DAC

Post by DAC »

teresa wrote:HI Dac

What probably feels to you like a big deal, is no big deal on the Support Board. You might be interested in the Discussion Board. But CoC folks now give that Board a wide berth. The ex-CoC tend to be hard on them.

N T Wright has said the Bible describes the Trinity a lot better than the later Christian efforts do: "From very early in Christianity the spirit became part of the new revolutionary definition of God himself ; 'the one who sends the son and the spirit of the son'.

As to dualism, there is no hint of dualism in the OT, that I am aware of. In Job's poem, Satan can only do what God allows.

Annihilation is certainly more in line with Christ Jesus' teaching and Paul's view of things, IMO, than the idea of eternal torment. The idea of eternal torment assumes that there is a part of us that God cannot destroy.
The Bible describes the Trinity nowhere. ". . . jn the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" does not necessitate a Trinity; and I did not say that there was dualism in the OT.

How does one get to the Discussion Board?

agricola

Post by agricola »

To go to the discussion board (between coc members and past/non-members):
Start at the portal to the main site:

h**p://www.ex-churchofchrist.com/index.htm

then click through to the 'dialog' page:

h**p://www.ex-churchofchrist.com/Bulletin.htm

and THEN - there are two links to discussion board, link a leads to this board (the support board) and link b leads to the dialog board between coc members and former members - assuming it works -

- I was having trouble with it yesterday -

Hmmm -

teresa: the link to the discussion board from the main portal appears to be broken.

But you can go directly to it HERE:

h**p://members.usafreeforum.com/

Just replace all those ** with tt.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

agricola

It's working for me.
agricola

Post by agricola »

teresa I get the old makephp 'address' on that second link. I've even tried deleting the main portal saved bookmark and reloading it. Oddly enough, if I RIGHT CLICK on the link and choose 'open in new tab', it goes to the right place just fine. But clicking on the link itself tries to load the OLD location.

Weird.

when I ask for properties, I get this:
http://makephpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=members

(which doesn't work, obviously)
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

agricola

That's interesting. I didn't have any problem at all. I don't know how to fix that problem.
agricola

Post by agricola »

It seems pretty clearly to be something to do with my computer and not something universal. No worries, I'll get it figured out sometime soon.
GuitarHero

Re: Greetings --- my beliefs

Post by GuitarHero »

You may have to wait more than 2 hours for someone to respond before declaring this a "dying board."

And yeah, I imagine you might've thought you dropped a bombshell on us, but the truth of the matter is that there are all kinds of us exers. Some of us just decided we were OK with musical instruments and went to the next best fundamentalist church. Some of us are Preterists. Some of us are Catholic. Some of us are gay. Some of us are Republicans. Some of us are atheists. Some of us are Muslim. Some of us are just like you. Some of us are nothing like you.

So yeah, you'd have to drop a pretty big bombshell to get the shock and debate that I suspect you were looking for.

Welcome.