It's been a while.

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
4myfamily

It's been a while.

Post by 4myfamily »

When I left the CoC 10 years ago, this site was so very helpful. I always thought I was alone in my confusion. Today I just feel sorry for those who are still stuck in that place. Just wanted to share what led me back to the site. My father(United Methodist) was just recently diagnosed with lung cancer. He, my brother (Presby), and I(multii-site community church) visited my grandmother (coC) to explain the diagnosis. Grannie took the news beautifuly as I knew she would. I told her that we would all pray for a miracle - which of course was the wrong thing to say. Her response, as I'm sure you can guess, was, "The age of miracles is over!" She then decided that since we were all from 4 different religions, we could all pray. I giggled at that and suggested we all pray to the same Jesus whom we all loved. Thinking about that conversation just makes me sad for all those who have missed out on the Joy of having a relationship with Jesus and knowing him as a loving father. Just thought I'd share!
NeverAgain

Re: It's been a while.

Post by NeverAgain »

Welcome back. A nice story.

I have found hat the longer I am away, the more bemusement and the less anger I can feel toward those nutty CofC ideas.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Beautiful story. Glad that you are back.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome back.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Prayers for your father. Lovely story.
ena

Post by ena »

4myfamily wrote:When I left the CoC 10 years ago, this site was so very helpful. I always thought I was alone in my confusion. Today I just feel sorry for those who are still stuck in that place. Just wanted to share what led me back to the site. My father(United Methodist) was just recently diagnosed with lung cancer. He, my brother (Presby), and I(multii-site community church) visited my grandmother (coC) to explain the diagnosis. Grannie took the news beautifuly as I knew she would. I told her that we would all pray for a miracle - which of course was the wrong thing to say. Her response, as I'm sure you can guess, was, "The age of miracles is over!" She then decided that since we were all from 4 different religions, we could all pray. I giggled at that and suggested we all pray to the same Jesus whom we all loved. Thinking about that conversation just makes me sad for all those who have missed out on the Joy of having a relationship with Jesus and knowing him as a loving father. Just thought I'd share!
The age of miracles is not over. They don't see because they do not know where to look. The real issue is that God has no need to show off today. A miracle can be as common place as finding the right doctor. There is a time to live and a time to die. I have seen this with my own parents and my wife's parents. With the death of my sister (expected) it is hopefully my turn next. I would not wish this on my wife, children or grandchildren. I have been at death's doorstep several times. I used to fear that in the CoC because of guilt. I no longer feel that way. The CoC over emphasizes the wrong things and if you don't catch it you will become hopeless. Pray anyway for God doesn't rat people out! Best wishes.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I hope granny didn't get smote by god when you heathen non-cocer christians prayed with er.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

B.H. wrote:I hope granny didn't get smote by god when you heathen non-cocer christians prayed with er.
I did get the joke. I cannot tell whose prayers are valid or invalid. I do know that many prefer prayer or meditation. Both are relaxing and can clear the air. God is far more patient with us than you may believe. The other day I told my friend that people make God in their image. It is in a way true. The problem comes when he does not give what you want or need. A real problem comes when system level considerations conflict with the personal. Sometimes the personal loses. We cannot always see the overall thrust. I have seen prayers not work quite often. You have to sometimes wonder. Usually it becomes clear overall. There was a Appalachian Snake Handler that died from being bit by a poisonous snake. In the ending of Mark is the promise a Christian can be bit by a poisonous snake and not die. Was this man a poor Christian? I cannot tell. If you want to play with poisonous snakes you are putting God in a bad position. After verse 8 of Mark 16 it arguable that the addition of verses 9-20 of Mark 16 were added later. This comes from the fact that Codex Sinaiticus does not show anything past verse 8. This codex is older therefore better. The world of Bible archeology works like that. The codex does have corrections. This shows that the copy was checked and edited to give more perfect copy. I have seen a web site trashing this codex. It even claims some things from my perspective are not true. He claims that the codex was found in a basket about to be used for lighting fires. The monks like to be warm. What I heard was in the burn basket was a Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament. This would be of interest but most scholars would rather translate from the Hebrew. It was from a codex partially destroyed and partially saved by Tishendorf. My take on it is that is was not a huge loss. I hope you can see how confusing it can get in the details. A tight and orderly church has never been a part of Christianity. Marching lock step does not happen in the Church of Christ. I have been where I could see it. No organization is monolithic. Some like to fool themselves into thinking so.