Miss the COmmunity

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
bereftmostly

Miss the COmmunity

Post by bereftmostly »

Hi, i've not been in the church for quite some time. I miss the community of it. We went 3 times a week grwoing up and i have tried other churches and they arent the same. I wouldn't say that i am an Atheist but i dont know what i am no, just mostly bereft. I have flirted with the idea of going back just for the community. I wish theyd get rid of the word church and start paying their taxes
shlybluz

Re: Miss the COmmunity

Post by shlybluz »

You sound like I feel on occasion. I miss some of the people I knew back then. If it was just a social club without religion I might have stuck around.
agricola

Post by agricola »

You'll get over it, eventually - and of course other churches aren't like the coc (and thank goodness for it). But there is also considerable emotional comfort in what we are familiar with, and especially what we are familiar with from childhood. It's not like absolutely EVERYTHING about growing up coc is 'bad' or 'wrong'. There is plenty of good stuff from time to time. But the good stuff is so mixed with other things, and what good stuff there is DOES exist in other places, after all, that sticking around (or going back) for the good parts rarely ends up being truly satisfying.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GMan

Post by GMan »

When I first left for a bit I felt the same way. Yet with time and discoving life that isn't so connected to straight conventions, I have much more community than I did before.

Welcome.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I believe I know exactly what you mean. When I was still trying to find a church "fit" with that unique kind community
born of ..... what was it born of? I have never been exactly sure how to describe it, but I never did find it. And going back just for community was never really an option once I had truly made the break.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~