Howdy

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Cootie Brown

Howdy

Post by Cootie Brown »

I wrote more information about myself on the other board. Too much actually. I'll keep this one short and to the point. My wife and I were members of the old time Church of Christ for 27 years. I served as a Bible teacher, deacon, and elder before we left.....actually I was encouraged to leave as in it would be nice if you would voluntarily resign as an elder and go away or we will be forced to withdraw fellowship. I left voluntarily. My sin was being to liberal and grace focused. I mistakenly thought Ephesians 2:8-10 was literally true and that was kind of the whole point of the gospel. My fellow elders pointed out to me that wasn't true. It was just one component of the bible among many others. Okay, so which ones are true and which ones are only components and are therefore not literally true?

That was over a decade ago, and water under the bridge now. After that experience I became a student of both the bible and religion. I've invested years of study and research into the historical critical perspective of the Xian faith. That study, which is ongoing, eventually convinced me the bible and all the characters mentioned in it are fictional. When I became convinced the bible is a collection of myths my faith evaporated.

I'm obviously no longer religious but I have no problem or issues with folks that do believe as long as they aren't part of one of the more extreme versions of Xianity. Actually, I'm okay with them too as long as they don't try and shove their beliefs down my throat.

And I'm not here to try and de-convert anybody. Believe whatever you want. I'm really just checking out this site, I doubt that I have much to offer anyone though since I'm not religious anymore.
zeek

Re: Howdy

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Glad that you are with us!
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the support side! Enjoy yourself.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Welcome! You seem to have some interesting things to contribute to the discussion.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome! We are glad to have anyone who has escaped the clutches of the COC! And we have people who have gone in many directions.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages