Field Report: Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Share your personal journey of faith as a Christian. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them. To engage in discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use the "Old Paths Reconsidered" Forum.
FinallyFree

Re: Field Report: Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Post by FinallyFree »

B.H., yes, everyone in the class was given a copy of the book, "A Handbook for Today's Disciples". I assume the split in the '30's brought about the Independent Christian Church and the DoC. We are learning about the history. The Disciples are focused more on unity and having an open communion, while CoC just focus on restoring the original church. The minister teaching the class said it is naive to think you could actually recreate the original church.
Opie

Post by Opie »

I have also been attending a DoC, as well as an independent Christian Church from time to time. The CoC focus on restoring the original church is indeed very naive, as well as totally unnecessary. The CoC got off on the wrong track by believing that they had to restore the original church. No where in the bible are we ever called to look like the New Testament church, but we ARE called to look like Christ. However, I don't see very much in the CoC that looks anything like Christ.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I joined the DOC church we have been attending. Today is the first day of Advent. We were aked to do a reading and light the first candle. It was such a neat experience! I really think I will get a lot more out of the Christmas season now. It will focus on a lot more than just buying presents.
We received a church directory today, and there was a photo of a gay couple who are members. This was comforting to me because I have a gay son, and remember all the negative gay comments I have heard before at C of C's. I just feel like I fit in better.