Down the Rabbit Hole

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
KLP

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole

Post by KLP »

Lev wrote:.... the COC claim that first century Christian gatherings would have looked a lot like 21st century COC "worship services" just with different clothes and in a different language. I have heard that very claim from COCers--that they could walk into a first century church meeting in, say, Ephesus, and would need only a tunic and a translator to fit right in. Rubbish! A modern COCer would probably not even recognize a first century church as such.

Lev
Agreed. I have heard that assertion made. And not is it absurd it is not knowable or provable..so it is just an assertion. The whole concept around church property of signage/marketing/buildings/center aisle/time schedules would be unknown. Then the strict order of services along with the didactic/lecture mode of preaching to the converted would likely not be recognized.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

williamray123 wrote:
bnot wrote:The A.D 33 is beyond ridiculous. For me as a teen, I read the infamous one true church tract by James R. Cope from Florida College http://ex-churchofchrist.com/5acts.htm and saw all the dates and the founders of the "denominations". But if he properly researched the coc he could have listed the coc founders and a more accurate date (1889), but no coc bible gangster will ever admit to their true origin.
I ordered a book from Florida College on "biblical authority" by Ferrell Jenkins. He speaks of Alexander Campbell's "sermon on the law" (basically one of the founding documents of the coc) and in his book he says it was delivered to the "redstone association" ... HE conveniently leaves out that this was the "redstone BAPTIST association". This book is in its 20th or so printing so this is not a misprint. He is basically hiding the fact that Alexander Campbell was a member of the baptist association. I believe his father was a presbyterian... but we are founded in 33AD!
Alexander Campbell was an ordained Presbyterian minister as was his father. The father was defrocked for offering communion to non-Presyterian Christians in Sunday services on the western frontier. Alexander Campbell came to be against infant baptism and was immersed as an adult by a Baptist preacher named Luce. He was not ever baptized again as far as I can remember.

I've read over some of Ferrell Jenkin's website. He has a nice set of photographs from his trips to the holy lands.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:
Lev wrote:.... the COC claim that first century Christian gatherings would have looked a lot like 21st century COC "worship services" just with different clothes and in a different language. I have heard that very claim from COCers--that they could walk into a first century church meeting in, say, Ephesus, and would need only a tunic and a translator to fit right in. Rubbish! A modern COCer would probably not even recognize a first century church as such.

Lev
Agreed. I have heard that assertion made. And not is it absurd it is not knowable or provable..so it is just an assertion. The whole concept around church property of signage/marketing/buildings/center aisle/time schedules would be unknown. Then the strict order of services along with the didactic/lecture mode of preaching to the converted would likely not be recognized.

Judging from I Corinthians 11-14 there was probably more interaction between the speaker and the audience, at least the audience members with a penis. Always remember women, no matter how we men try to be humble about it, a penis makes us a smarter and uh better than all of you. You have to be silent. Silent! :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
onward

Post by onward »

B.H. wrote: Alexander Campbell was an ordained Presbyterian minister as was his father. The father was defrocked for offering communion to non-Presyterian Christians in Sunday services on the western frontier. Alexander Campbell came to be against infant baptism and was immersed as an adult by a Baptist preacher named Luce. He was not ever baptized again as far as I can remember.
In today's mainline CoC tribes his baptism would be null and void, completely unacceptable, since it was performed by a dreaded denominational Baptist preacher! The Campbell's wouldn't fit, nor want to fit, in these churches.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
KLP

Post by KLP »

Can't say what Alexander Campbell would do today or in this culture/situation. He might go ahead and be baptized just to take it off the table like Paul having Timothy be circumcised when Paul advocated it meant nothing. Or he might argue that baptism is baptism and that to require another baptism is evidence of being baptized into a denomination. Interesting to think about what would happen were there such an Iconic figure who returned.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

Would hardline coc'ers listen to Campell if he returned today? I've always wondered if they would actually listen to Paul or even Jesus if they returned. They would just want to argue with them (of course using BCV).
Opie

Post by Opie »

In 1866 when Alexander Campbell was on his death bed, he is reported to have said "I have always regretted that the Baptists and we had to part, it ought not to have been so." So it seems very doubtful that Alexander Campbell would be welcome in any CoC today. My personal opinion is that if Alex were alive today, he most likely would be a member of the First Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Lev

Post by Lev »

Opie wrote:My personal opinion is that if Alex were alive today, he most likely would be a member of the First Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
...denominations which he also started, in addition to the COC.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Someone I know read through some of the records of James Garfield. Some claim him as the only Church of Christ who became president of the United States. My friend, who read Garfield's records, said that he was more along the lines of what became the Christian Church instead of the Church of Christ.
onward

Post by onward »

The church Campbell envisioned has splintered so many times it would be impossible for him to recognize the mess.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism