Oh, golly

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
candace

Re: Oh, golly

Post by candace »

Struggler wrote:
Ivy wrote:
Pitts S2C wrote:The only time I remember that we were officially approved to cancel services was when the building lost power. One cannot read ones Bible without light & heat in the North.
Unacceptable excuse. Slackers!!! There are always flashlights and oil burning lamps. The first century church
never had electricity. Church should build in a wood burning stove. :twisted:
When I was a kid, the power went out right as a Gospel Meeting service was about to begin. People who lived nearby brought flashlights and oil lamps and the service went on as usual.

In recent years, I've noticed that more C of C's are less reluctant to cancel services due to weather issues. These are more mainstream congregations, though. Not sure about the NI group.
Bet the NI group and a lot of anti groups are horrible about cancelling. My old church was NI, and we're up north. UGH! That is so, so, wrong. Oddly enough, there are plenty who are now getting a grip and cancelling. Makes me wonder what happened when Hurricane Sandy hit us hard three years ago. Bet my old church still had services....
candace

Post by candace »

zeek wrote:
candace wrote:And while the rest of us in Pennsylvania and the entire Mid-Atlantic region finally dug out from this weekend's blizzard that topped the one we had 20 years ago, I found out today that the coc I attended near my house actually still had their service at 2:00 or 2:30 pm this afternoon. Seriously? Every other church in my area cancelled services (I'm in Bethlehem, and my current church cancelled because it took forever to clear out the parking lot.) Public school districts and private schools in Bethlehem and the neighboring cities and towns in the Lehigh Valley area cancelled classes for tomorrow. Yep, good old Hebrews 10:24-25. Anyone else ever have to schlepp it out in horrible weather to a coc? Sheesh...
Days like this are when we find out who the truly faithful are. You know we have to maintain our bragging rights. "Been a christian for 500 years and never missed a 'service".

But to answer your question: Yes, back in the days when I was fully intoxicated on the koolaid I did get out in awful conditions to attend at times...and yes I did look down on those who didn't make an effort to show up.
It's all about the braggingr ights to show how dedicated you are. Took me many years to get out of this mentality. AND I even had asked one of the pastors at my church why some people use Hebrews 10:19-25 as a weapon to show up or ship out (and not just in coc circles but in a lot of fundie Baptist circles, too.) He emailed me back and said he had never heard of anyone doing that with that passage, because it's actually about what Jesus has done for us as the great high priest and how we should respond to him, especially in the face of persecution.
onward

Post by onward »

Basically boils down to a works philosophy; gotta accumulate those points ya know!
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
candace

Post by candace »

onward wrote:Basically boils down to a works philosophy; gotta accumulate those points ya know!
Brownie points are a biggie...
Ashes64

Post by Ashes64 »

rode to church on snowstorms, white outs and pure ice. That last one was super fun. Managed to cream some poor families' mailbox. But we made it to church! Do you think we get extra brownie points for driving the furthest?
onward

Post by onward »

According to the official unwritten Church of Christ creed, there are absolutely no acceptable excuses for missing a church assembly ... if the doors are open its your duty to show up. Flooding, tornadoes, or hurricanes are not sufficient reasons to forsake the assembly.
Lev

Post by Lev »

Funny how they make such a big deal out of the second helping of Lord's Supper... especially if everyone's supposed to have been there that morning anyway.

Lev
JWayne

Post by JWayne »

Man does this bring back memories! When I was young we attended the Courtland Ave church in Kokomo, IN. We were assured at least two big snow storms each year. I remember two wrecks on the way to church in snow. My father being an elder would also go visit members on week nights and I remember the police bringing him home after he totaled the family car! So rediculous.
Member for 18 years and free now for 35 years!
Attended the Courtland Avenue COC in Kokomo Indiana.
Father was an elder and the main reason I left.
onward

Post by onward »

JWayne wrote:Man does this bring back memories! When I was young we attended the Courtland Ave church in Kokomo, IN. We were assured at least two big snow storms each year. I remember two wrecks on the way to church in snow. My father being an elder would also go visit members on week nights and I remember the police bringing him home after he totaled the family car! So rediculous.
Lets not forget those pious souls who are sick as a dog, yet manage to drag themselves to the assembly and spread their disease by sneezing all over the place ... but they didn't forsake the assembly!
Lev

Post by Lev »

onward wrote:Lets not forget those pious souls who are sick as a dog, yet manage to drag themselves to the assembly and spread their disease by sneezing all over the place ... but they didn't forsake the assembly!
Didn't really love their neighbors either. Or is this one of those cases where "they shall take up serpents" and not be harmed or some such nonsense?

Lev