Why Jon left

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Moogy

Re: Why Jon left

Post by Moogy »

I think the COC frequently uses mind-numbing techniques. At least I always found the sermons and the LENGTHY prayers to be mind-numbing. :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Makes me fall asleep thinking about Church of Christ services. :( :(
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

And yet sleeping during services seems to be allowed and almost accepted within the coc. Never, ever made sense to me. Just be there in person I guess---check the box....

Where's the scriptural authorization for that? Looks like there is a guy sleeping behind Jon in the video during service in one scene.
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

Was sleeping actually accepted? I feel like at least in the church I always went to it wasn't so much accepted as just inevitable. The services were so lifeless and dull that most people were going to fall asleep or at least doze off and there wasn't much anyone could really do about it. Then again they loved to post their attendance numbers on the board up front, and the higher the number the happier they were. So I guess really they didn't care so much if you fell asleep, as long as you were in the pew and got your gold star for the week.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Oh but 'worship' isn't supposed to be FUN (or interesting, or engaging, or much of anything else, really).
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

Yep, but it was never supposed to be, "We have to go to church." It was "We GET to go to church" and be bored out of our minds for two hours Sunday morning...and an hour on Sunday night...and another hour on Wednesday night. How lucky we were! :roll:
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Pitts S2C wrote:And yet sleeping during services seems to be allowed and almost accepted within the coc. Never, ever made sense to me. Just be there in person I guess---check the box....

Where's the scriptural authorization for that? Looks like there is a guy sleeping behind Jon in the video during service in one scene.
:lol: Scriptural authorization: Acts 20: 7-12: Paul preached until midnight, a guy named Eutychus fell asleep while sitting in a window and fell out. He died but Paul restored him to life.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
GMan

Post by GMan »

Pitts S2C wrote:And yet sleeping during services seems to be allowed and almost accepted within the coc. Never, ever made sense to me. Just be there in person I guess---check the box....

Whatever meets the need of the person. Just sayin'
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
KLP

Post by KLP »

It also depends on who was sleeping and for what reason. Babies always got a pass. The old folks and those that were sick of the congregation also got a pass. Wednesday night tended to get a pass but you have to move around so much it did not allow long naps. But Sunday morning 20-50 yr old adult was obviously probably sleeping because they stayed up too late drinking and watching filth.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.