Extemporaneous Prayer

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Dixie_Amazon

Extemporaneous Prayer

Post by Dixie_Amazon »

I know this not exclusive to the CoC, but it is something I do not miss at all. When certain men went up to lead a prayer I wanted to slip out to escape their rambling and repetitive missives.

This was brought to mind by this article, Learning to Pray with the Church], written by an evangelical on how the Book of Common Prayer has taught him to organize his prayers.
Dennise
agricola

Re: Extemporaneous Prayer

Post by agricola »

There are a number of pluses to having a proper 'prayer book': it gives people a 'language' suitable for prayer, it suggests themes, it teaches doctrine/theology to the group in a relatively painless fashion, and it supplies a prayer PLAN for the clueless 'prayer leader'.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
HighLiter871

Post by HighLiter871 »

I personally despise extemporaneous prayer, other than in the quietude of one's own heart. Here's food for thought, offered in a spirit of gleeful spite:

Related to "EXTEMPORANEOUS"

Synonyms ad hoc, ad-lib, impromptu, improvised, offhand, off-the-cuff, spur-of-the-moment, unconsidered,
unplanned, unprepared, unstudied

Antonyms considered, planned, premeditative, prepared

"The most ignorant are the most conceited. Unless a man knows that there is something more to be known, his inference is, of course, that he knows every thing. Such a man always usurps the throne of universal knowledge, and assumes the right of deciding all possible questions. We all know that a conceited dunce will decide questions extemporaneous(ly) which would puzzle a college of philosophers, or a bench of judges. Ignorant and shallow-minded men do not see far enough to see the difficulty."

~ Horace Mann, in Lectures on Education (1855)
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

That was one of the many things I had to adjust to when I switched denominations. I had never before heard "planned" prayers. Sometimes I think they sound artificial, but much of the time I really find them meaningful.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
musicman

Post by musicman »

The prayers over the crackers and grape juice used in the "Lawrd's Supper" nearly always ended with "...please help us to do this(or partake) in a manner which will be well pleasing in thy sight."

Prayer at the end of the service didn't seem "correct" unless included "guard, guide, and direct us..." at the end.

C o C will bash Episcopalians,etc. over their prayer books or written prayers, but it uses the same trite phrases in many of its prayers all the time.
Dixie_Amazon

Post by Dixie_Amazon »

I know I heard direct quotes from The Book of Common Prayer.
Dennise
Lev

Post by Lev »

It's interesting that the COC has no issue whatsoever with pre-written songs but will 'bash' the denominations that use books of pre-written prayers. Neither is 'authorized' under CENI but only the prayers attract COC accusations of 'vain repetitions.'

Lev
KLP

Post by KLP »

I have thought about this thread a good bit over the past few days...I am glad the topic was raised
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

musicman wrote:The prayers over the crackers and grape juice used in the "Lawrd's Supper" nearly always ended with "...please help us to do this(or partake) in a manner which will be well pleasing in thy sight."

Prayer at the end of the service didn't seem "correct" unless included "guard, guide, and direct us..." at the end.

C o C will bash Episcopalians,etc. over their prayer books or written prayers, but it uses the same trite phrases in many of its prayers all the time.
It's simple

Anything the CoC does is right and acceptable. :D Anything a denominational church does is wrong and unacceptable. :evil:
Unity in diversity
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.