Christmas Eve on Wednesday

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
MusicMan826

Christmas Eve on Wednesday

Post by MusicMan826 »

With Christmas Eve falling on a Wednesday, is anyone having to go to a Wednesday night CoC service with relatives that you're visiting? I'm going to see my family later this afternoon and my aunt made it a point to tell me to get there early enough so I can go to church with the family. It'll be a rough hour being at a CoC service again (just my second one in the three years since I left) but I figure I can put up with it for an hour with my family. I fully expect at least one reference to the denominations celebrating the birth of Christ and how sinful they are and how God is frowning down upon them and how "WE don't do that because the bible doesn't COMMAND us to celebrate the birth of Christ! (pound on pulpit)" I'm somewhat dreading it tonight, but it's just an hour and I know it'll show me more than ever just how happier I am having escaped the CoC and their toxic culture.
bnot

Re: Christmas Eve on Wednesday

Post by bnot »

I think you have a good approach by saying it's just an hour, but even an hour can be rough in a coc. Is the church you're visiting hardcore conservative/full of Bible gangsters?
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

MusicMan826 wrote:With Christmas Eve falling on a Wednesday, is anyone having to go to a Wednesday night CoC service with relatives that you're visiting? I'm going to see my family later this afternoon and my aunt made it a point to tell me to get there early enough so I can go to church with the family. It'll be a rough hour being at a CoC service again (just my second one in the three years since I left) but I figure I can put up with it for an hour with my family. I fully expect at least one reference to the denominations celebrating the birth of Christ and how sinful they are and how God is frowning down upon them and how "WE don't do that because the bible doesn't COMMAND us to celebrate the birth of Christ! (pound on pulpit)" I'm somewhat dreading it tonight, but it's just an hour and I know it'll show me more than ever just how happier I am having escaped the CoC and their toxic culture.
The ultra-conservative CoC I met with actually cancelled Bible study on Wednsday evening if Christmas or New Years fell on this day ... even cancelled Sunday evening service if these particular holidays fell on a Sunday. Some members thought this was horrible ... Santa Claus more important than Jesus arguments! :roll:
Unity in diversity
KLP

Post by KLP »

We saw a local cofc announce that Wed night was cancelled. Wife pointed out the irony that some folks may only go on xmas eve and that xmas eve is in fact a special night and then this place says this is the time you can skip. Yeah, I know...they celebrate Easter every Sunday...right. :roll:
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

MusicMan826 wrote:With Christmas Eve falling on a Wednesday, is anyone having to go to a Wednesday night CoC service with relatives that you're visiting? I'm going to see my family later this afternoon and my aunt made it a point to tell me to get there early enough so I can go to church with the family. It'll be a rough hour being at a CoC service again (just my second one in the three years since I left) but I figure I can put up with it for an hour with my family. I fully expect at least one reference to the denominations celebrating the birth of Christ and how sinful they are and how God is frowning down upon them and how "WE don't do that because the bible doesn't COMMAND us to celebrate the birth of Christ! (pound on pulpit)" I'm somewhat dreading it tonight, but it's just an hour and I know it'll show me more than ever just how happier I am having escaped the CoC and their toxic culture.

I'm not sure but I think that having Wednesday night cofC service on xmas eve is unscriptural. What would people think if they drive by a cofC on xmas eve and see all of the people in the parking lot. They would think that it was a denomination. I think it is better to stay home than to take that chance to get the Lord upset with you.

Just saying
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God (1 Pet. 4:11).
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds (2 John 9-11).
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book (Rev. 22:18-19).
katisha

Post by katisha »

The congregation I attended is probably going to have bible study tonight, like they usually do on Wed Nights. Nothing special, just regular old bible study. Sounds like fun. :roll:
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

katisha wrote:The congregation I attended is probably going to have bible study tonight, like they usually do on Wed Nights. Nothing special, just regular old bible study. Sounds like fun. :roll:
Gotta go if the doors are open for business! :(
Unity in diversity
Grace

Post by Grace »

Last year, I was with family on Christmas and forgot it was Wednesday night until they reminded me. Their church had a singing, but No Christmas songs. It was a long hour. Also almost no young people at church. This year I went to Community Church. It was a lovely service.
musicman

Post by musicman »

Where is the "BCV" for having service on Wednesday night?

I never got an answer to that question.

However, to most C o C folks it's just as sacred as the Sunday gatherings and missing Wednesday night is considered "forsaking the assembly."
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

As a Muslim it is a religious duty to stay out of church services, can't be encouraging false doctrine ya know. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx