Was I like that?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Re: Was I like that?

Post by SolaDude »

gordie91 wrote:Like probably everyone on here that is on Facebook, we still have "friends" in the CoC and see their posts from time to time.

I saw multiple posts last night. This friend kept sharing post from someone she follows. (She had a rapid fire sharing event) There were some memes with the usual 5 steps, and other cliche CoC topics we are all very familiar with and know all too well. But one really stood out and so I clicked on this person's page and started to read through some of the comments associated with his post. He offered anyone $500 buck if they could find the Methodist Church in the new testament. That's really no big deal, I get it, something to start a dialogue. Oh my goodness! After reading the comments, I was totally bummed.

There were some that agreed in a nice way, the usual bible verse a couple of people objected and a couple posted some witty photos. But then there were the down right mean spirited. These folks, in their mind, are the ones that are right, have discerned the scriptures right and aren't afraid to tell anyone how right they are and how wrong YOU are especially if you don't agree. Then I started to think about my former self. Because, I used many of the same arguments and reasoning that these people used and,back in the day, may have even reacted to a post in similar ways. I got a sick, nervous feeling in my stomach and then had feelings of shame. Who, viewed me the way I viewed some of these people? How many people did I turn away because of my self righteous attitude?

I really don't have a way of knowing the answers but I suspect there were a few. It is a sobering thought in these moments of reflection to realize how mean and impolite people become when a false sense of pride takes over our personality. I know, because I had the truth you didn't, I knew how to study and reason and you didn't and I was sincere in my beliefs and you were not sincere. I was like that and it makes me ashamed.

I don't know if that feeling will ever completely go away, I hope it does. But now, I don't know it all, I am not better in anyway than someone especially if I disagree with them.
What an all time great post, Gordie...amen to it all and to you....
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

KLP wrote:I made an effort to apologize to my non-Cofcers friends and work colleagues. I knew the ones who had enjoyed some of my religious discussions. At least one was a Methodist. :) It was sort of a step 5.a of the 12 step program for me...to find the people and let them know I was out of line and apologize.

http://sharinggodsgrace.com/wp/wp-conte ... arisee.pdf
12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me)
by John Fischer
The 12 Steps
1. We admit that our single most unmitigated pleasure is to judge other people.
2. Have come to believe that our means of obtaining greatness is to make everyone lower than ourselves in our own
mind.
3. Realize that we detest mercy being given to those who, unlike us, haven't worked for it and don't deserve it.
4. Have decided that we don't want to get what we deserve after all, and we don't want anyone else to either.
5. Will cease all attempts to apply teaching and rebuke to anyone but ourselves.
6. Are ready to have God remove all these defects of attitude and character.
7. Embrace the belief that we are, and will always be, experts at sinning.
8. Are looking closely at the lives of famous men and women of the Bible who turned out to be ordinary sinners like
us.
9. Are seeking through prayer and meditation to make a conscious effort to consider other better than ourselves.
10. Embrace the state of astonishment as a permanent and glorious reality.
11. Choose to rid ourselves of any attitude that is not bathed in gratitude.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we will try to carry this message to others who think
that Christians are better than everyone else.
You've hit a home run here KLP....
KLP

Post by KLP »

SolaDude wrote:
KLP wrote:I made an effort to apologize to my non-Cofcers friends and work colleagues. I knew the ones who had enjoyed some of my religious discussions. At least one was a Methodist. :) It was sort of a step 5.a of the 12 step program for me...to find the people and let them know I was out of line and apologize.

http://sharinggodsgrace.com/wp/wp-conte ... arisee.pdf
12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me)
by John Fischer
The 12 Steps
1. We admit that our single most unmitigated pleasure is to judge other people.
2. Have come to believe that our means of obtaining greatness is to make everyone lower than ourselves in our own
mind.
3. Realize that we detest mercy being given to those who, unlike us, haven't worked for it and don't deserve it.
4. Have decided that we don't want to get what we deserve after all, and we don't want anyone else to either.
5. Will cease all attempts to apply teaching and rebuke to anyone but ourselves.
6. Are ready to have God remove all these defects of attitude and character.
7. Embrace the belief that we are, and will always be, experts at sinning.
8. Are looking closely at the lives of famous men and women of the Bible who turned out to be ordinary sinners like
us.
9. Are seeking through prayer and meditation to make a conscious effort to consider other better than ourselves.
10. Embrace the state of astonishment as a permanent and glorious reality.
11. Choose to rid ourselves of any attitude that is not bathed in gratitude.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we will try to carry this message to others who think
that Christians are better than everyone else.
You've hit a home run here KLP....
It is not mine, gave a link, and we have discussed it in the past. But sure...thanks.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.