Christmas Eve on Wednesday

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: Christmas Eve on Wednesday

Post by B.H. »

Can a person of the book get a break?
Only during weekdays and during office hours. And you have to bring id and proof of insurance. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Carl Kolchak

Post by Carl Kolchak »

B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:
B.H. wrote:As a Muslim it is a religious duty to stay out of church services, can't be encouraging false doctrine ya know. :lol:
My son is dating a lovely Muslim woman and she has wholeheartedly helped us celebrate Christmas. We didn't go to church services, however. :twisted:
You never know. She may be the means to bring you and your family to Islam.

I'm sorry I am just such a bad example. I don't act like I do online in real life. In real life I am very nice and sweet to everyone.

I am probably going to sound like a troll, so I'll apologize if I come across that way, but, honestly, I think practicing some types of Islam would be worse than being a COC member. I realize that Islam, like Christianity, is a large religion with many belief cultures and countless millions of faithful, and I've known Muslims in my own daily life who were wonderful human beings and also that Islam's often unfairly stereotyped & judged according to the behavior of its worst adherents. All of those facts are freely admitted. But Islam strikes me in the main as a very rigid, legalistic sort of faith: many Muslims apparently think Islam provides guidance as to much of even their day-to-day social behavior, diet, mode of dress, etc. I found that notion of a kind of "micro-intervening" meddlesome deity left me cold with fundamentalist Christianity, and Islam, from what I know of its most common practice, seems to have a similar bent. This may not be the place for this discussion, so maybe we should jump over to an "Islam" thread in the "New Paths" section of the support board.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

It's not Christmas Eve but there's a few feet of snow outside and it's cold as hell. Wonder how many churches of Christ -- if any -- put the members' safety into consideration and called off services tonight?
KLP

Post by KLP »

illuminator wrote:It's not Christmas Eve but there's a few feet of snow outside and it's cold as hell. Wonder how many churches of Christ -- if any -- put the members' safety into consideration and called off services tonight?
Probably the same percentage as Burger Kings and Sonics that closed due to weather...not many
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
GMan

Post by GMan »

illuminator wrote:It's not Christmas Eve but there's a few feet of snow outside and it's cold as hell. Wonder how many churches of Christ -- if any -- put the members' safety into consideration and called off services tonight?
I did go to church one Sunday (I was just a few months short of walking out the door for good), and it was a rather vicious snow storm that really made driving virtually impossible. I was one of the men who was to serve communion, when we were meeting before getting to our places in order to serve when a guy said he was happy to see all the elderly in attendance, he said he was glad as it set a great example to the young people. So they risked life and limb to set an example :P :!:
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

I remember when I was a kid and hearing my parents get the phone call that services were cancelled when the weather got really bad...it was one of the best feelings ever! I remember one particular Wednesday night when my mom for some reason was extremely angry that the elders cancelled services. The roads were horrible and all the news stations were advising people to stay off the roads except for emergencies. I can still hear her storming around the house, "There was no reason they should have cancelled. Let the ones who can make it go, the roads aren't THAT bad. This is ridiculous!" Unfortunately there are many CoCers out there that would drive on a sheet of ice in a massive blizzard, risking the lives of their families and themselves, to make it to church to get their gold star for the week.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Until I was in college, I always lived right by the church building, so getting there was never an issue. In college, I remember them cutting a service short because snow was starting to fall and that was the right call, since the church was on a hill. Later on, churches I went to were less reluctant to cancel for bad weather. Now, I think the more hidebound C of C's are the ones who think you have to have a service, no matter what.

I saw on the news where a number of churches, including C of C's, cancelled Wednesday night services this week due to bad weather here. Not an issue to me as I wasn't going to be there anyway, but I think it was the right call.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

I remember a sister congregation made up of at least 75% elderly cancelled and our congregation ridiculed them. Most loudly was one old biddy. It was so insulting. Those poor old people could barely cross the street on their own and our old biddy is downing them. And they lived on the other side of the county in a very rural area! It left such a horrible impression on me. I can still taste it in my mouth.