Memphis-Cordova Community Church

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
margin overa

Re: Memphis-Cordova Community Church

Post by margin overa »

Memtiger wrote:When I have more time I will update you. Yes when I attended in the earlymid 90s there was clear message from the pulpit to serve memphis and stay where they were, Union Ave intercongregational services, and Shank preached it. But the fact was Shank and the current elders and staff had eyes east, they really wanted to be a Bellevue type church where Factory Outlet was, but they had to scale back to where they are now. Its country club church now.

Now Highland is an empty lot. Its a big deal in my family and inner circle.
I hate to see churches of any kind become corporate McChurches - vast suburban buildings and huge staff, lots of programs of all kinds, savvy marketing, and exceptionally easy to get lost in regardless of one's efforts. Lots of membership turnover and people just trying out the flavor of the month. In fact, anymore I pretty much dislike what "church" is, regardless of denomination or location or belief system. All those programs and ministers and huge buildings eat up the majority of any church giving income - which is problematic to begin with, IMHO.

I can at least respect a church that chooses to stay where it is, not pursuing big building dreams, and making a real attempt to influence its surrounding community for good. That's disappointing that Highland chose that route over what they had been advocating.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

Memtiger wrote:I agree.

My folks left Brownsville rd when they started the small confession groups and started the real push to shame everyone into
giving for a new gym. But really it did not take much for my folks to get their feathers ruffled and go to a new church every 4 years.

sycamore view enlarged everything a few years ago and highland moved east into their new fluffy building, Ealy worked with Highland before he opened his church.
Haha, that gym... But I have to say, it was a really, really nice gym, had a stellar kitchen, and served fairly well as housing for the school that used it.

Brownsville Road eventually tired of it, though. A few years back, because they were pretty decimated from all the splits, they merged with Twin Oaks and got extremely hoity-toity because suddenly they had a congregation full of Richie Riches. They sold that building to COGIC and moved out to Lakeland to become the Oliver Creek COC. They said they thought God wanted them to "plant a church" out in Lakeland, because there weren't enough congregations of the Lord's Church in that area... which also happens to be an extremely affluent area full of other Richie Rich suburbanites. I mean, it ain't Germantown, but hell...

So yeah... that gym that caused so many splits... the number of people who were strong-armed and guilt-tripped into contributing to finance it... it's now in the hands of COGIC. Good going there!
Memtiger

Post by Memtiger »

klp wrote:Are they ever going to finish that construction on the bypass/loop 240 or the I40 ??? oy
No, but the last year they are laying more steel than ever, they have another year before finishing. What they are doing should have been done 25 years ago. There are five cranes still there and I go through there four times a week. I am enjoying the nice problem of construction traffic rather than the bad problem of inactivity and half ass quick fixes.
I watched Nashville layer their exits and bypasses at I40 and Briley and I just cussed why Memphis could not get it for years.

Memphis, when your bad you have to go to the corner.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I just cussed

Wash out your mouth with soap!

:P

Seriously, I wouldn't donate any money to a church that is constantly asking for it. I bust my ass doing a job far beneath my abilities and what I deserve and I am going to take some of that money and give it to some guy who farts out of his mouth three times a week in the pulpit and spends his time in a study reading the Bible?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
DoOrDoNot

Post by DoOrDoNot »

It's interesting to see all this background. We were at white station when highland moved to Cordova, but now we're at Highland. Incidentally, highland just finished a building expansion project last week. Mostly classrooms and a large meeting room with a stage and kitchen for the children's ministry.