No women in leadership roles

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: No women in leadership roles

Post by B.H. »

MusicMan826 wrote:Then there's the most ridiculous of all...the woman teaching a junior high Sunday school class. If one of those 12 year old boys gets baptized the woman is immediately out and a man resumes the teacher role. Because God forbid a woman have authority of a 12 year old boy. :roll:
This may be some of my non-Sunday school raising coming out but I agree it is silly to remove the woma because the boy is baptized. Really. The woman is told to be silent in the assembly, and if the Sunday School is not part of the assembly or considered an assembly, but just an expedient to teach with, then there is no logical reason for the woman to not be able to teach the boy or a fully grown man in the class.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

That stuff about a woman teacher and a kid getting baptized came up at one of my father's churches. He said a baptized kid is still a kid and it was a non-issue. Some of the biddies and bubbas didn't like it, but the elders listened.

There are women leaders in the C of C. Biddies run many a congregation. In those cases, they've got a hell of a lot more power than elders and preachers.
agricola

Post by agricola »

That was the basic attitude where I was raised also - baptized kid is still a kid and has to listen to an adult, even a female one. Once they hit about 14 or 15 though, the classes split up by gender and men taught the boys' classes while women taught the girls. I even remember once when we were visiting out of town at some other coc, the girls' teacher actually talked about S-E-X!

It was terribly embarrassing.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

No one said women did not exist or were not helpful in doing all sorts of things. Still, Jesus picked out only males as his disciples...ie, leaders. And after his resurrection and meeting with them on the beach he didn't ask "hey, where are the women?" It is not just one verse from Paul...he also writes qualifications for elders/deacons. And the other Apostles and letters refer to only men in leadership positions.

This does not mean that women don't have skilz or that the woman at the well didn't go blab all over town bout Jesus...of course she did. But before we break out the "well an honest reading...blah blah" line of argument and accusing bad motive of any all who differ one has to deal what is actually written. If one is going to follow what Moses wrote or what the Jesus practiced or what the Apostles wrote then one has to notice that women were not even close to being equally represented in leadership roles. Doesn't mean women did not have power, influence, or roles. So exactly how many priest and high priest were female in the OT? How many women were Apostles? How many women were dispatched by the church in Jerusalem to go teach the gentiles? How many were appointed as Elders? I am trying to recall but I am thinking it is a number approaching zero but I may be wrong.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.