Nashville-area congregation adds instrumental music

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ramblin' Jack

Re: Nashville-area congregation adds instrumental music

Post by Ramblin' Jack »

Last edited by Ramblin' Jack on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lev

Post by Lev »

Ramblin' Jack wrote:As for printing the order of the service in the bulletin, I had forgotten that that used to considered taboo. As far as I know, it's standard practice among most mainline CoC congregations these days, at least in my neck of the woods.
What's the backstory on this? Too Catholic?

Lev
truthseeker

Post by truthseeker »

GuitarHero wrote:It will have to be caffeine free Coca-Cola. We don't want to cause former coffee addicts to stumble.
lol!!
KLP

Post by KLP »

Ramblin' Jack wrote:
Last week I was looking at the website of another C o C in Brentwood. The first page of its weekly bulletin was dedicated to bashing Otter Creek for adding an instrumental service.
Hey musiscman, any chance you could send me a link to that, if it's still available? You could send it in a PM if you want.

I'm curious to know what the CoC folks are saying about all this.
If you are looking for a sound Brentwood congregation (meaning, non-institutional) then this is your baby, but no online bulletin
h**p://brentwoodchurch.com/

I think the reference is to an institutional bunch called Concord Road...I tweaked the URL
h**p://www.god-answers.org/fileup/bulletin.pdf
March 8, 2015 Volume 9
“NASHVILLE-AREA CHURCH’S RADICAL STEP:
ADDING INSTRUMENTS”
I’m sure plenty of you saw this headline in Thursday’s Tennessean: “Nashville-Area Church’s Radical Step: Adding Instruments.” The article reported how an area “Church of Christ” is finally pulling the trigger and planning to permanently add instrumental praise to one of its two Sunday services by September.
While it really is a sad decision, frankly it doesn’t come as a shock to those familiar with the situation. After all, for quite some time that congregation, to quote the article, “already has experimented with instrumental music with a Wednesday Vespers service; young adult, children's ministry, and student ministry gatherings; and special worship for Good Friday, Christmas and other holidays.”

And, of course, they aren’t the first congregation claiming to be a “Church of Christ” which has moved away from a cappella-only praise in recent years. The article rightly notes that they’ve joined about twenty other congregations nationwide who have made that move. And, I might add, they won’t be the last; others in this area and across the nation will choose to follow the same path in the months and years ahead.

There are two particular things in the article that I think are important to point out. First, after the article briefly mentions the “Scriptural citations backing a cappella tradition,” it then quoted the congregation’s “preaching and teaching minister” who said, “church history is a stronger influence.” Let me say that again—their preacher said, “church history is a stronger influence.” What exactly did he mean by that? He meant that “church history is a stronger influence” than Scripture. Folks, that statement is a sad, sad commentary on how some church leaders make decisions—they subordinate Scripture to other considerations. Hear me well—nothing must have a stronger influence in our decision making process than Scripture. Scripture must always take precedence over everything else, both in our individual decisions and our congregational decisions. The day we start letting anything have a stronger influence than Scripture is the day we stop letting Jesus be the head of His church.

The second thing I want to point out also relates to that statement about church history. That statement—“church history is a stronger influence”—implies that history supports instrumental praise in Christian worship. Nothing, however, could further from the truth. The fact of the matter is, instrumental praise in wor-ship completely ignores church history. Every objective church historian will acknowledge that a cappella praise has been the practice of the vast majority of Christians for most of church history. In fact, as most of you probably know, the word “a cappella” testifies to that fact—it’s an Italian word that literally means “as in the chapel” or “in chapel style.” So, every time someone says “a cappella” it’s an acknowledgement that the music historically heard in Christian houses of worship was vocal only.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
candace

Post by candace »

Sounds like this group has been taking as much heat as Oak Hills church where Max Lucado serves. He's so mainstream now that no one in the coc reads any of his books, but if you walk into any other church in the US (from Methodist to Baptist to Lutheran to even my own United Church of Christ congregation), you'll find his books in frequent study and circulation and they don't even realize the controversy over him in the coc. After leaving the coc, I had gone to a Baptist church, and one small group Bible study I was in used a Max Lucado book. I nearly fell over.
Ramblin' Jack

Post by Ramblin' Jack »

Last edited by Ramblin' Jack on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lev

Post by Lev »

Ramblin' Jack wrote:Yeah, Brentwood Church of Christ is a NI church as I recall.

Although their website is surprisingly modern, I have to say.
Slippery slope!

Lev
musicman

Post by musicman »

Brentwood C o C is "NI". Back during my C o C days we called them "anti."

Concord Rd. is "mainline." It's not too far away from Otter Creek.

One could stand in the middle of Brentwood..throw a rock in any direction..and hit several C o Cs.
Ramblin' Jack

Post by Ramblin' Jack »