COC History of the Church Timeline

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Lev

Re: COC History of the Church Timeline

Post by Lev »

klp wrote:I think it would be helpful to overlay this timeline with global temperatures in order to notice "patterns". I think it would then be obvious that the growth in the quantity of variants of denominations would track with the alarming and dangerous upswing in Global Warming. You People have been warned over and over about the danger and destruction due to denominationalism but would you listen...NOooooooo!
Ha! Nice. That would be a great way to show correlation.

Lev

katisha

Post by katisha »

Ramblin' Jack wrote:Here it is, skitty:

http://charlesdailey.net/churchhistoryrev2-11.pdf

My thought about it is that it is myopic, delusional, and just plain wrong.

Clearly, the CoC actually started in the 1800's as a branch off the Stone-Campbell movement.
Hands up if you attended a gospel meeting and this was printed out on a sheet that was tacked up in front of the baptistery.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:I think it would be helpful to overlay this timeline with global temperatures in order to notice "patterns". I think it would then be obvious that the growth in the quantity of variants of denominations would track with the alarming and dangerous upswing in Global Warming. You People have been warned over and over about the danger and destruction due to denominationalism but would you listen...NOooooooo!
I certainly think the level of smoke blown in the air has gone up since the Church of Christ came along in the 1800's. I've also noticed studies stating there is a lot more bullshit in the fields of wherever that stupid false chart goes. Bullshit raises the level of methane, just sayin.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
HighLiter871

Post by HighLiter871 »

That said, I've seen a similar one that has the Eastern Orthodox church as the main "trunk" of the tree, from which others have split. So at least the COC isn't alone in its delusion.

Actually that's historically accurate. The Orthodox churches in the Eastern part of the world, and the 'Roman' Catholic church in the West, were united (even if squabbling) until the Schism in the 12th century. Note that 'Schism' is diffrent from 'Heresy', as in the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century. The Catholics and the Orthodox still regard each other (if grudgingly) as the "other lung" of the church which dates back to the Apostles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... lic_Church
musicman

Post by musicman »

Moogy wrote:
Ramblin' Jack wrote:Here it is, skitty:

http://charlesdailey.net/churchhistoryrev2-11.pdf

My thought about it is that it is myopic, delusional, and just plain wrong.
Clearly, the CoC actually started in the 1800's as a branch off the Stone-Campbell movement.
That must be an old chart. It shows the United Brethren and Methodists as two separate lines. Those two churches merged in 1968 to create the United Methodist Church.
The C o C indeed started in the 19th century, all its claims to the contrary. I have yet to hear a sensible or logical explanation of where it was between Pentecost and the "Restoration Movement."
Lev

Post by Lev »

HighLiter871 wrote:That said, I've seen a similar one that has the Eastern Orthodox church as the main "trunk" of the tree, from which others have split. So at least the COC isn't alone in its delusion.

Actually that's historically accurate. The Orthodox churches in the Eastern part of the world, and the 'Roman' Catholic church in the West, were united (even if squabbling) until the Schism in the 12th century. Note that 'Schism' is diffrent from 'Heresy', as in the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century. The Catholics and the Orthodox still regard each other (if grudgingly) as the "other lung" of the church which dates back to the Apostles.
Sure, but it's not as if the Eastern Orthodox church is the same today as it was in the 12th century. The fact is that there is no denomination that is the central line of some evolutionary tree, from which other denominations have split off. All have changed, some more than others and some more intentionally than others.

It's like asking when the American colonists stopped talking with British accents.

Lev