coc Services Starting On Time

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Lev

Re: coc Services Starting On Time

Post by Lev »

Does anyone else remember the deacons dimming the auditorium lights about a minute before services began to signal the end of chatter time and the impending start of 'worship'?

Lev
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

The service start times are holy and sacred, since they are set by the "elders". Therefore, it follows
that for a service to start late leaves the congregation vulnerable to the fires of hell.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:The service start times are holy and sacred, since they are set by the "elders". Therefore, it follows
that for a service to start late leaves the congregation vulnerable to the fires of hell.

You know, a kid that attended the one cup church I used to visit actually said "The elders took away so-and-so's salvation" when they disfellowshipped the young man for being gay.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

Lev wrote:Does anyone else remember the deacons dimming the auditorium lights about a minute before services began to signal the end of chatter time and the impending start of 'worship'?

Lev
I do! I do! Right before the men marched in, the lights would be turned off and on. It was the signal to shut up and sit down.

Whether or not the church started on time depended on the size, usually. If it were smaller, they'd usually wait five or ten minutes to "see if more people will show up." Rarely do I recall church ending on time. Most preachers that I knew prided themselves on being long-winded. "I'll finish when I'm finished!" they'd say. Anybody who seemed bothered by the service running over 15 minutes or half an hour was viewed as petty and not loving God enough. After all, you should want to be there.

Disciples of Christ ALWAYS started on time, with the countdown thing described in an earlier post.
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

We were usually pretty good about starting on time, maybe a minute or two late. However, I remeber on more than one occasion the preacher going on about, "Where did we come up with this 'ending on time' thing? There is no 'end time' to our service to God, and we should all WANT to be here!" Thankfully on Wednesday nights some man who was just as ready to get out of there as the rest of us would do the invitation, so it would always be short and sweet.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:The service start times are holy and sacred, since they are set by the "elders". Therefore, it follows

You know, a kid that attended the one cup church I used to visit actually said "The elders took away so-and-so's salvation" when they disfellowshipped the young man for being gay.
LOL....because they are just that powerful. :roll:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
B.H. wrote:

If they are so powerful why didn't they just *take away the kid's gay* instead of his salvation?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:You know, a kid that attended the one cup church I used to visit actually said "The elders took away so-and-so's salvation" when they disfellowshipped the young man for being gay.

If they are so powerful why didn't they just *take away the kid's gay* instead of his salvation?[/quote]

Touche! :lol: "Whatsoever you bind on earth...."
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

If they are so powerful why didn't they just *take away the kid's gay* instead of his salvation?

Touche! :lol: "Whatsoever you bind on earth...."
Maybe they were afraid if they ordered the gay to leave the boy in Jesus's name it would start flying around and land on one of them. :lol:

That's when I quite going to one cup church. They just kicked him out but didn't do anything to actually help him. He lives up in Missouri now and to be honest was a good kid. He's probably around 28 now. He came back down and visited his relatives here about a year ago. When I saw him I gave him a big hug. And I did it right there in public were two members of the church who kicked him out could see me do it.

He says being kicked out of the church was no big deal. He didn't like going there anyway. :lol:
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

To the best of my Ready Recollection, we started At The Appointed Time, in each of the several CoCs I attended.
Sometimes, if the Song Leader was impatient or eager, we started early, but he would usually do that part by singing from his seat, as the congregation joined in, most singing from memory, some fumbling for hymnals, and the young families frantically trying to get all of the kids seated.
The ending of the service was not so punctual, which delighted the kids on a Wednesday night, because we got to be up way past out bedtimes, and still got to play outside for a while.
Once i was a mom, that bothered me. Now that I am a grandma, and evening worship is not a part of their lives, I wonder what the kids would think...
God is good.