Independent Christian churches

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: Independent Christian churches

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:We attended an independent christian church for a few years. It went the way of the hip megachurch. The process
was ugly; I won't bore you with the details. I wonder if this is a trend in ICC circles.

Sister Ivyrose does not do hip megachurches.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:We attended an independent christian church for a few years. It went the way of the hip megachurch. The process
was ugly; I won't bore you with the details. I wonder if this is a trend in ICC circles.

Sister Ivyrose does not do hip megachurches.
That's right, BH....because it ain't right.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
DAC

Post by DAC »

NeverAgain wrote:You and I know damn well what GuitarHero heard in what he described as a "homophobic" sermon. Fire ad brimstone and hiding behind scripture to rationalize bigotry and meanness.

Spare us your aggrieved victimhood. Discrimination against gays is wrong on a level that racism and sexism is wrong. Period.
Oh.

Well--I try to leave judgement to God; but don't try to foist upon me that homosexuality is normal. It is sin.

"Hate the sin--love the sinner."
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. ~Pr. 3:5-6

Love animals; God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. ~Dostoyevsky
agricola

Post by agricola »

Lots of things are 'sins'. Why pick on that one, particularly? Besides, some 'sins' are also 'crimes' but others are certainly not, and should not be treated so in a free country.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

KLP said:
And then there is the DoC/Christian Church which has both names on the sign and I have just never made it to their bldg. They supposedly have a "traditional" service but it is at 8:30 AM and so that is just not going to happen.
That cracked me up, KLP. I hear you. My church is the two-name one you described here, and I do wish our traditional service wasn't so early.

I went directly from CoC to DoC and love it all these years later. At this point, the litergy makes sense and is meaningful, although it took me awhile to figure out what was going on with all that. Mostly I need their theological perspective, their way of explaining God and the Bible. I desperately need that, and since I'm a very irregular attendee, I can tell when I've been away too long and need a booster shot, and then I head in for a service.

Don't know what I'd do without it.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
DAC

Post by DAC »

agricola wrote:Lots of things are 'sins'. Why pick on that one, particularly?
Um . . . because it was brought up?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. ~Pr. 3:5-6

Love animals; God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. ~Dostoyevsky
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I wonder if anyone in the c/c has ever been diss-fellowshipped for gluttony.

Or, for that matter.....A proud look
A lying tongue
Hands that shed innocent blood
A heart that devises wicked plots
Feet that are swift to run into mischief
A deceitful witness that uttereth lies
Him that soweth discord among brethren
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Ivy wrote:I wonder if anyone in the c/c has ever been diss-fellowshipped for gluttony.

Or, for that matter.....A proud look
A lying tongue
Hands that shed innocent blood
A heart that devises wicked plots
Feet that are swift to run into mischief
A deceitful witness that uttereth lies
Him that soweth discord among brethren
If that happened, the C of C would be a MUCH smaller denomination.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

DAC wrote:
NeverAgain wrote:You and I know damn well what GuitarHero heard in what he described as a "homophobic" sermon. Fire ad brimstone and hiding behind scripture to rationalize bigotry and meanness.

Spare us your aggrieved victimhood. Discrimination against gays is wrong on a level that racism and sexism is wrong. Period.
Oh.

Well--I try to leave judgement to God; but don't try to foist upon me that homosexuality is normal. It is sin.

"Hate the sin--love the sinner."
Oy...there's another one.

Well, if you don't like homosexuality, you're free not to engage in sex with one of them. And don't come near me with your mixed fibers and your shaven beard.
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

I find it funny how I always read "love the sinner, hate the sin" when it comes to homosexuality, yet when divorce is brought up, the same people usually ignore it or sweep it under the rug. Whatever happened to worrying about your own sins and not everyone else's? People are so fast to jump on homosexuality, but virtually ignore divorce, gluttony, gossip, etc. Just worry about yourself and just try to be the best person you can be. Especially when me, or anyone else, being gay has literally no effect on you whatsoever.