"She would make a wonderful christian"

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

"She would make a wonderful christian"

Post by Ivy »

Did any of you ever hear a cofc person say this? It would be said about some non-cofc person (Baptist, Hindu, Catholic,
whatever) who seemed to fit the perfect cofc mold.

I think it's an interesting statement, as it shows a misunderstanding of the christian faith on multiple levels.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Re: "She would make a wonderful christian"

Post by KLP »

no, we didn't gossip about other people. shame on you Ivy
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

Well, such a statement is just another instance of the unbelievably insufferable arrogance of the Church of Christ denomination and its misuse of the term "Christian" to apply only to themselves and not to the other 99.9 percent of those who consider themselves to be Christians.

Proof of the oft-denied but true accusation against the CofC that they really think they are the only ones going to heaven.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

It's a pity, so many in the Church of Christ would make good Muslims if only they would renounce their false teachings and do what is right.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

One True Churchers of the World Unite! (Oh, wait that was May 1, today is Cinco de Cinco)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Y'all are horrible.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

"that lady over there would make a wonderful christian"

Implications:

That lady made herself good all on her own, since her religious beliefs
are false, null and void. Therefore, it follows that:

-works salvation is the goal.

- morally good people should be cofc, since they are already good. They require
minimal maintenance.

- to be a cofc member is to be responsible for one's own moral goodness.

- we are not interested in people with messiness in their lives....because they never would
get their lives straightened out. And you have to have a perfect life if you want to park your
butt in one of our pews.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

It recognizes the concept of a works-based salvation, whilst at the same time implying that God doesn't care how awesome you are, so long as you didn't take a dip in a baptismal pool at least once in your life, other than at infancy. In other words, complete inconsistency.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Exactly.

Think about the unspoken, logical extension of that:
Joe Blow [that derelict] would make a terrible christian.
....when in fact, Christ actually went after the derelict Joe Blows of his time.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Right, we see the sort of logic of looking for quality being a valid driver in almost every other organization...recruiting the best talent, best fit, needed skills. Be it hiring in corporate world, making special forces, sports league drafts, or picking a spouse (hopefully). But the logic does not make sense in the spiritual realm. Sort of like love your enemies or turning the other cheek are counter intuitive to human reasoning. Picking Saul the chief of sinners and a persecutor of believers made no sense to most folks.

That being said there were cases where particularly good people who were chosen or singles out for service to God. Mary, Abraham, and Cornelius come to mind. God looks at the heart and man just cannot do that as pointed out in the case of choosing David from the sons of Jessie. So there is no place for humans to decide who would or wouldn't make a good servant of God.