Independent Christian churches

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: Independent Christian churches

Post by Ivy »

Just worry about yourself and just try to be the best person you can be. Especially when me, or anyone else, being gay has literally no effect on you whatsoever.
Love it, MusicMan826 :)

Toddler tells dad "Just worry about yourself": :D

h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A6Bu96ALO
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:I wonder if anyone in the c/c has ever been diss-fellowshipped for gluttony.

Or, for that matter.....A proud look
A lying tongue
Hands that shed innocent blood
A heart that devises wicked plots
Feet that are swift to run into mischief
A deceitful witness that uttereth lies
Him that soweth discord among brethren
I would choose gossip as the most unrecognized sin in the CoC. The worst gossip stood the highest.
All of above I believe were included.
KLP

Post by KLP »

MusicMan826 wrote:I find it funny how I always read "love the sinner, hate the sin" when it comes to homosexuality, yet when divorce is brought up, the same people usually ignore it or sweep it under the rug. Whatever happened to worrying about your own sins and not everyone else's? People are so fast to jump on homosexuality, but virtually ignore divorce, gluttony, gossip, etc. Just worry about yourself and just try to be the best person you can be. Especially when me, or anyone else, being gay has literally no effect on you whatsoever.
agreed, all sin should be preached against and certainly not ignored or tolerated, particularly in leadership. But ferreting out hidden sins of others is a different and more akin to a witch hunt.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

And soon we'll all be eyeless and toothless when all our "sins" have been deal with.
agricola

Post by agricola »

To all the posters here: I have deleted some off topic posts. Please stay remotely on topic.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

My old COCs certainly did not ignore divorce. Those who divorced and then remarried were chastised and usually they left.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

Some ICC churches are definitely less legalistic. I attended one in New Hampshire that was nothing like the Midwestern one my childhood friend grew up in and now preaches in (mentioned upthread).

Honestly I felt the only difference between his church and mine was that they played music and we did not, and at the time they were a much larger church. They're still a larger church, but my old CoC is catching up to them.

Both of those congregations--the CoC and the ICC--have grown closer over the last decade. There is a lot of crossover. The CoC does not play music in its main worship service but has an earlier Sunday devotional that does play music. The youth groups from both churches get together several times a year. Each church also hosts musicians from the other church for concerts.

When I was a kid it was a sin to go to or date someone from the ICC church, and anyone from the ICC congregation thought we were backward for not playing music.