same-sex marriage

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Struggler

Re: same-sex marriage

Post by Struggler »

If a church or whoever wants to marry same-sex couples, they should be free to do so. If they don't want to, they should be free to do so as well.

I don't think there are many organizations ready to defend everyone's rights. Certainly not the ACLU--anyone who thinks they actually care about everyone's civil rights and liberties is sadly deluded. I've had dealings with them, and some of the people are among the biggest bigots I've ever encountered. Most of the groups seem to advocate only for one side of an issue. For me, but not for thee.

I'm not sure the government should be in the marriage business anyway.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

I have had both good & bad experiences w/same sex couples who are married and with those who were not. I know of a few married same sex couples in my neighborhood who are super nice and generally keep to themselves. They also keep their homes and property in perfect condition. However, I have had several nasty encounters. Once, while on vacation in Massachusetts my wife & I drove through Provincetown, MA. The gays & lesbians there are super aggressive toward heterosexual couples. We were surrounded and nearly assaulted on several occasions while just walking on the streets. They have nearly completely taken over the town of Provincetown. I have also had similar experiences downtown Chicago on Michigan Ave. next to WGN. They show up in large groups (like a flash mob) and verbally get in your face. Also, in most cases they were nearly totally nude, wearing leather speedos & carrying whips/chains. In my experience, they are not always as ‘nice & innocent’ as the media portrays.
GMan

Post by GMan »

I know that many are also opposed to blacks and whites marrying. NO church will be forced to marry same-sex couples, like they don't have to marry couples that are white and black.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

Pitts S2C wrote:They have nearly completely taken over the town of Provincetown. I have also had similar experiences downtown Chicago on Michigan Ave. next to WGN. They show up in large groups (like a flash mob) and verbally get in your face. Also, in most cases they were nearly totally nude, wearing leather speedos & carrying whips/chains. In my experience, they are not always as ‘nice & innocent’ as the media portrays.
Who is always portraying gay people as "nice and innocent"? You had a negative experience with a particular set of people who no more represent the majority of gay Americans than N.W.A represents the majority of black Americans. Being gay or straight or black or white is no more a guarantee of being "nice and innocent" or a decent human being than any other subset of people. Your experience is unfortunate, and their behavior was absurd and presumptuous - how would these individuals even know for certain that you were heterosexual even? However, that's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there.
Lev

Post by Lev »

Pitts S2C wrote:I have had both good & bad experiences w/same sex couples who are married and with those who were not. I know of a few married same sex couples in my neighborhood who are super nice and generally keep to themselves. They also keep their homes and property in perfect condition. However, I have had several nasty encounters. Once, while on vacation in Massachusetts my wife & I drove through Provincetown, MA. The gays & lesbians there are super aggressive toward heterosexual couples. We were surrounded and nearly assaulted on several occasions while just walking on the streets. They have nearly completely taken over the town of Provincetown. I have also had similar experiences downtown Chicago on Michigan Ave. next to WGN. They show up in large groups (like a flash mob) and verbally get in your face. Also, in most cases they were nearly totally nude, wearing leather speedos & carrying whips/chains. In my experience, they are not always as ‘nice & innocent’ as the media portrays.
Let's try this another way. It's easy to imagine a gay person saying:

I have had both good & bad experiences w/heterosexual couples who are married and with those who were not. I know of a few married heterosexual couples in my neighborhood who are super nice and generally keep to themselves. They also keep their homes and property in perfect condition. However, I have had several nasty encounters. Once, while on vacation in Texas my same-sex partner & I drove through Houston, TX. The heterosexuals there are super aggressive toward same-sex couples. We were surrounded and nearly assaulted on several occasions while just walking on the streets. They have nearly completely taken over the state of Texas (and 99% of the rest of the USA). I have also had similar experiences downtown Birmingham on wherever. They show up in large groups (like a flash mob) and verbally get in your face. Also, in most cases they were ... wearing camo and confederate flags & carrying guns and Bibles. In my experience, they are not always as ‘nice & innocent’ as the media portrays.

I hope this makes the point that no form of abuse or intimidation should be acceptable, by anyone toward anyone.

Lev
sonicrainkrieg42

Post by sonicrainkrieg42 »

I am personally quite happy with the supreme court's decision. Although, I did have to listen to the preacher at my family's church bluster about the evils of homosexuality and kind of endorse taking up arms against the government in response.
Closeted ex coc, trans woman, and secular humanist
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

sonicrainkrieg42 wrote:I am personally quite happy with the supreme court's decision. Although, I did have to listen to the preacher at my family's church bluster about the evils of homosexuality and kind of endorse taking up arms against the government in response.
Don't he realize that tha gub'mint beareth not the sword in vain? :lol:

No wonder the world at large shakes its head at church nonsense.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

margin overa wrote:
sonicrainkrieg42 wrote:I am personally quite happy with the supreme court's decision. Although, I did have to listen to the preacher at my family's church bluster about the evils of homosexuality and kind of endorse taking up arms against the government in response.
Don't he realize that tha gub'mint beareth not the sword in vain? :lol:

No wonder the world at large shakes its head at church nonsense.

It's been a while since I cracked open a Bible but I think the only time your are permitted to actually take it upon yourself to fight the law is if the law is fixing to lead someone off to be put to death for something that does not deserve it or someone you know for a fact is innocent of the crime deserving death. Everything else you just have to grit your teeth and wait out.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

The Supreme Court Ruling is being celebrated as a triumph for LGBTQ supporters. My question is, why are bisexuals celebrating this ruling? They still are limited to marrying only one person, while they identify as being attracted to both genders. Wouldn't it be more consistent for everyone celebrsting this ruling to support marriage between 3 people instead of 2? By definition, the "B" part of the acronym requires support for 3 people marrying.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Not exactly - bisexuals (as has been explained to me in far too much detail, really) are sexually attracted to EITHER sex, not to 'both at once'. The person is more important than the details, so to speak.

A bisexual would not (necessarily) want to marry any more than a single other person - it is just that a bisexual isn't automatically particular about which gender the other person happens to be.

(if you were actually being funny instead of serious, I apologize. I tend to be a bit over-literal.)
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.