Lads to Leaders

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
sonicrainkrieg42

Re: Lads to Leaders

Post by sonicrainkrieg42 »

I've heard of these events before, but have never took part in them. I grew up in a conservative institutional CoC, and the closest I got to those was VBS.
Closeted ex coc, trans woman, and secular humanist
Aarin

Post by Aarin »

If you're talking about the beloved song leading 'camps' then I remember them. I remember pubescent boys being forced to stand before the congregation and lead singing. Little scrawny eight-year old arms (with no rhythm) waving, desperately trying to fight through the red faces, before the congregation. Not to mention, being deprived of an extra two hours of playtime/naptime (because that's what we wanted to do EVERY Sunday), nothing better to do than lead singing before services started.
Then there were the heirs of the godsquad. The children of the deacons and elders, doted and gifted. Always the most successful and never to fall. Promised to be our future husbands and outstanding writers of Gospel books and betrothed fathers.
" Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change."
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

GuitarHero wrote:As long as the lads or leaderettes aren't helping the preacher polish his pulpit...
Speaking of which, I'm really missing your class by class preview of the polishing the pulpit that was on the old board. Comedy gold right there!
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

I don't think GH hangs around these parts much any more.
cathym

Post by cathym »

I had no idea Lads to Leaders was much older then the 90s; that's when I first heard of it, and I thought it was a new thing then. Maybe it just had a popularity boost, or maybe my horizons just widened. I grew up in a small church; one or two kids in each grade, more or less, and eventually a family moved in with a kid in my grade, but none of us were particularly friends. We did some things with other churches in our region -- we had a Bible Bowl circuit going for a while -- but Dad thought it was wrong for churches to charge for things, so we didn't go to youth rallies, except once -- I guess that church had a free one.
cathym

Post by cathym »

I had no idea Lads to Leaders was much older then the 90s; that's when I first heard of it, and I thought it was a new thing then. Maybe it just had a popularity boost, or maybe my horizons just widened. I grew up in a small church; one or two kids in each grade, more or less, and eventually a family moved in with a kid in my grade, but none of us were particularly friends. We did some things with other churches in our region -- we had a Bible Bowl circuit going for a while -- but Dad thought it was wrong for churches to charge for things, so we didn't go to youth rallies, except once -- I guess that church had a free one.