The New Testament Church was a Mega Church

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Pitts S2C

The New Testament Church was a Mega Church

Post by Pitts S2C »

I currently attend a mega church w/3,500 attendees each Sunday. My preacher (dare say Pastor) jokingly said on Sunday that the first church was a mega church when 3,000 souls were added that day. Can you imagine hearing that from a coC *pulpit?

*Note: Can't say podium or stage at the coC
Ivy

Re: The New Testament Church was a Mega Church

Post by Ivy »

Lol.....but did they play the Rolling Stones as the bumper?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
bnot

Post by bnot »

Ha! Good point
Lev

Post by Lev »

Never having been to a megachurch, I have to ask: what is a bumper?
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

Lev wrote:Never having been to a megachurch, I have to ask: what is a bumper?
I didn't know what that was until recently, either - it's a presentation or video inserted between say, the singing and the sermon to dramatize or accentuate the message of the speaker or whatever is coming next. I only found this out through a friend's son, who is interning with a Christian media business to provide professional versions of bumper videos for big churches.
Lev

Post by Lev »

Bumpers aren't part of the pattern. Never mentioned in the New Testament. Except maybe John the Baptist as a human bumper for Jesus. On second thought, we have a clear example for bumpers and that example is binding. Time to disfellowship all those bumperless churches. Stand and sing.

Lev
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Lev wrote:Bumpers aren't part of the pattern. Never mentioned in the New Testament. Except maybe John the Baptist as a human bumper for Jesus. On second thought, we have a clear example for bumpers and that example is binding. Time to disfellowship all those bumperless churches. Stand and sing.

Lev
:lol:

h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5GOH2CO1k

If you try sometime you might get what you need.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

At a conservative coC the bumper is the 'announcements'. Those are critically important & authorized.

'Now let us all focus our minds, block out worldly thoughts and prepare to worship'

'Oh and here is a list of people who are not present---sick, vacation, work, shut-in's or just plain absent'
cathym

Post by cathym »

I'm sure they were a multi-campus church with lots of small groups, though. ;)
KLP

Post by KLP »

oooohh!!! BUMPERS....I thought yall said bumpkins and I was wondering yall didn't have no bumpkins?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.