The New Testament Church was a Mega Church

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: The New Testament Church was a Mega Church

Post by B.H. »

and where there's bumkins there are pumpkins. Halloween is next month and everyone will need their pumkin for a jackolatern.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

I recall a cOC preacher saying in a sermon once that we "could NEVER compete with the mega churches, given what all they offer". I was stunned to say the least! I mean, the guy was right. The cOC really can not compete with the big boys. I was just suprised to hear someone from within the cOC (a precher, no less) actually admit that. I actually left church that day thinking about that. It was like he was saying "we can't compete with them because we basically offer nothing". :D
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
cathym

Post by cathym »

I'm sure in his mind he was basically saying broccoli can't compete with Twinkies. One is not pleasant, but Good For You; the other is easy and tasty but you can't live off it.

I think that I can't live on a steady diet of either.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

cathym wrote:I'm sure in his mind he was basically saying broccoli can't compete with Twinkies
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one cathym!!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Post by KLP »

Saying one cannot compete in a market place is not saying that nothing of value is being offered. It is saying the consumer has decided to buy something else not that what is offered is good, bad, better, or worse. There are plenty of talented and amazing musicians where never "made it" and then there are "recording artist" like Miley, Spears, and J. Lo"...people who really cannot sing so then why the "recording" success? Broad is the way that leads to destruction and these broads know how to destroy a song. But good for them, they make a lot money and have a big slice of the market, no way I can compete with them. Oh and MacDonald's has sold many billions of whatevers.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Lady Gaga has a lovely voice. Just saying.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Opie

Post by Opie »

Lady Gaga, Miley, etc should watch some old Dusty Springfield videos on youtube. They could learn a lot about what REAL talent is.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
agricola

Post by agricola »

Look, I'm not a major fan of Lady Gaga, but she (and a few others) does indeed have a great voice. Check out her recent album with Tony Bennett.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

"Gaga" does have musical talent. But her popularity is greatly decreased of late and her sales are way down...which is to my point since she is offering and holding the same musical talent as when she was hugely popular.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I really kind of miss Amy Winehouse.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~