Fear

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
GuitarHero

Re: Fear

Post by GuitarHero »

Aarin wrote:It's really sad sometimes to look back on all of the relationships that God destroyed because of how influential the CoC/teachings were.
Indeed it is. In my case, the Church of Christ is literally the cause for every direction my life has taken. My whole life was governed by it, seeing as I was a preacher's kid. It determined where I went to college, who I would meet in life, the jobs I would have... literally everything. It became my career at one point, and ultimately it led to me discovering that I could live in China and be quite happy. (Not all the things it caused were bad.)

Somewhere out there is a parallel timeline or universe in which I did not attend a Christian college and my life turned out successful and completely different.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't have met the love of my life and wouldn't have my beloved daughter. So I can only regret just so much. Still, if I were able to keep my wife and daughter, I'd love to know how the rest of my life would've turned out. As it is, I can only determine the outcome from this day forward.

Also, since we're speaking of fear, I find it hilarious that my parents chose to send me to Freed-Hardeman because they were so afraid of the "world" influencing me and leading me astray from Christianity. Going to that wretched hellhole masquerading as a university was what started me questioning, and despite all that good gospel training, I ended up as a staunch atheist and liberal... exactly what my parents were hoping to avoid!
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
margin overa wrote:Well, he is always seeking whom he may devour.
and roaming to and fro.

The guy's obsessed I tell you, obsessed!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Lev

Post by Lev »

GuitarHero wrote:Also, since we're speaking of fear, I find it hilarious that my parents chose to send me to Freed-Hardeman because they were so afraid of the "world" influencing me and leading me astray from Christianity. Going to that wretched hellhole masquerading as a university was what started me questioning, and despite all that good gospel training, I ended up as a staunch atheist and liberal... exactly what my parents were hoping to avoid!
Ironic, isn't it? I went to Florida College for much the same reasons and had basically the same experience. I didn't end up an atheist but I'm certainly not COC anymore either. I've often said that I met some of the worst people I've ever known, in terms of character, at that supposedly Christian school. I had an acquaintance who convinced his church-girl girlfriend that if she would come to his dorm room for sex on Sunday mornings while everyone else on campus was at church, he would go to Sunday evening services with her. That is only one example of many. When I transferred to a state school after receiving my useless Associate of Arts degree, and later at graduate school, I discovered genuine, honest people who had never heard of the COC. Some weren't even Christians. It blew my mind.

Lovely tribute to your wife and daughter, by the way.

Lev