typical coc sermon on the Lawrd's Supper!!! LOL

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
candace

typical coc sermon on the Lawrd's Supper!!! LOL

Post by candace »

Ugh! Typical sermon on communion... only catch is that the preacher isn't born and bred coc, unlike his wife and father-in-law (both dyed in the wool born and bred coc.) I know his wife and in-laws from the coc I attended in Bethlehem, PA. And he uses the term forced conclusion instead of necessary inference in the acronym CENI. Sigh... the preacher and his wife are in their mid-20s, both college grads, yet still swallow this stuff hook, line, and sinker.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/congregate/tayl ... HXuzOmM%3D
GuitarHero

Re: typical coc sermon on the Lawrd's Supper!!! LOL

Post by GuitarHero »

The link doesn't work for me.

But I bet I probably know everything it says.
Lev

Post by Lev »

GH, that's exactly what I thought when I tried and failed to follow the link.

Links to sermons? We don't need no stinkin' links to sermons!

Lev
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

candace wrote:Ugh! Typical sermon on communion... only catch is that the preacher isn't born and bred coc, unlike his wife and father-in-law (both dyed in the wool born and bred coc.) I know his wife and in-laws from the coc I attended in Bethlehem, PA. And he uses the term forced conclusion instead of necessary inference in the acronym CENI. Sigh... the preacher and his wife are in their mid-20s, both college grads, yet still swallow this stuff hook, line, and sinker.
So he is changing our non-Biblical acronym to CEFC? "Somebody get a rope!" ;) ;)
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
candace

Post by candace »

Been awhile since I have been on here. Let me see if I can find a link that works.
candace

Post by candace »

Here is a link. Hope this works... You have to click on the mp3 link on the page to get it to play...

http://www.taylorsvillerdchurchofchrist ... rds-supper
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

I'm not able to listen now, but let me guess. "Such and such denomination only partakes of the Lord's Supper once a month or once a year. That's not what we were AUTHORIZED to do, so they're WRONG!" Probably some variation of, "Such and such denominations use wine. Drinking of any kind is WRONG, wine in the bible really means grape juice, so that's what we are COMMANDED to do!" And probably a reference or two to "pizza and coke", because every sermon I ever heard on the Lord's Supper had some absurd and ridiculous mention of pizza and coke. If the preacher is feeling really ambitious, there will probably be some reference to how some churches may only have communion on Easter or Christmas and how we're not "AUTHORIZED!!" to observe those days as religious holidays, so they're WRONG!! *Fist pound on pulpit for added over-dramatic effect*
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Yeah, but does he have only one container to represent the new covenant with? If not he is a ear tickling liberal just like a woman preacher or "reverand" with his musical instruments in worship.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

MusicMan826 wrote:I'm not able to listen now, but let me guess. "Such and such denomination only partakes of the Lord's Supper once a month or once a year. That's not what we were AUTHORIZED to do, so they're WRONG!" Probably some variation of, "Such and such denominations use wine. Drinking of any kind is WRONG, wine in the bible really means grape juice, so that's what we are COMMANDED to do!" And probably a reference or two to "pizza and coke", because every sermon I ever heard on the Lord's Supper had some absurd and ridiculous mention of pizza and coke. If the preacher is feeling really ambitious, there will probably be some reference to how some churches may only have communion on Easter or Christmas and how we're not "AUTHORIZED!!" to observe those days as religious holidays, so they're WRONG!! *Fist pound on pulpit for added over-dramatic effect*
Pizza and coke? I have heard that or some variation many times. Thanks for the comment - I laughed.
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Our last preacher said the slippery slope would lead to serving Doritoes and Mello Yello for communion. Not sure how he came up with that combination, but he brought it up more than once.