Let's have a devotional!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Fellow Traveler

Let's have a devotional!

Post by Fellow Traveler »

Back in my steeped in COC days, I went on my share of door knockings. One time we were hosted by a church who took us to eat the Sunday we were there, which was certainly appreciated. But even though we just got out of church, we had to have a devotional and introduce ourselves one by one first. Later on, we had church that evening. Then myself and the guy I was teamed up with went to the church members house we were put up at. I was beat and ready for bed. But before bed, you guessed it, a devotional. I love the opportunity to express devotion to the Lord, but back then it kinda rubbed me wrong and felt more like a book end to things.
NeverAgain

Re: Let's have a devotional!

Post by NeverAgain »

Are devotionals authorized? Where is the Bible verse for that? If it's not "scriptural," everyone involved may be on the highway to hell. Best take a walk of shame "to be safe."
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Perhaps these people should consider that your service to God IS your devotion. A lot of these devotionals are too long and become another church service. Some people like to play church, I guess.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Instead of a devotional they need to have a Restoration bowel Movement.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

B.H. wrote:Instead of a devotional they need to have a Restoration bowel Movement.
:D
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

I remember a guy at Freed-Hardeman who continually preached to us that we were forsaking the assembly if we skipped out on campus-wide and/or dorm devos. He didn't miss a one.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Fellow Traveler wrote:Back in my steeped in COC days, I went on my share of door knockings. One time we were hosted by a church who took us to eat the Sunday we were there, which was certainly appreciated. But even though we just got out of church, we had to have a devotional and introduce ourselves one by one first. Later on, we had church that evening. Then myself and the guy I was teamed up with went to the church members house we were put up at. I was beat and ready for bed. But before bed, you guessed it, a devotional. I love the opportunity to express devotion to the Lord, but back then it kinda rubbed me wrong and felt more like a book end to things.
I remember when I got involved with a Bible mega church. There was a very long womens Bible study that lasted until 1 a.m., then I was expected to go to church the following Sunday morning with someone. I was so tired from staying out late that I could not make it to church that morning. I felt really trapped at that point. Like I was in a cult that was going to dominate all my free time.
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

At one Harding Devotional I went to, the student giving it chastised us for having attended an Air Supply Concert a few nights before (which was hosted by Harding U and held in the Benson Auditorium, by the way). He said attending concerts and doing ANYTHING "secular" was pointless at best since such activities never resulted in anybody getting saved. :roll:
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Melanie wrote:At one Harding Devotional I went to, the student giving it chastised us for having attended an Air Supply Concert a few nights before (which was hosted by Harding U and held in the Benson Auditorium, by the way). He said attending concerts and doing ANYTHING "secular" was pointless at best since such activities never resulted in anybody getting saved. :roll:
Drinking water is a secular act and so according to his logic it is useless. Let him go without a drink say for a day in the summer heat (I have during Ramadan) and let's see if it is useless then. He needs to pull his head out of his rectum.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx