A Couple of Things That Nag Me

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Re: A Couple of Things That Nag Me

Post by faithfyl »

illuminator wrote:1) How come the coc never talks about current events? I rarely heard sermons on how to live or deal with current events.
Just go to a Harding U chapel service. You will hear plenty of talk about current events. More than you ever wished to hear.

And my old C of C kept up on the latest tv shows ,movie, childrens toys, everything you can think of - just to point out what they thought was wrong with it. I can't believe you never heard anything about current events.
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

There was talk of current events in terms of irrelevant things like fashion, current fads, popular music, etc. and how it was all sinful. I remember being surprised (along with a few other people, as well) that our cofC made hardly any reference at all about 9-11 at Wednesday night service, even though it was the day after. Many of us assumed that classes would be cancelled and we would hold a prayer vigil. We were still reeling in shock on Sept. 12, and it was hard to believe that our church just continued business as usual as if nothing significant had happened.
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

I was chastised for staying home to watch President Nixon's resignation statement rather than going to some scheduled church Bible study or meeting or something like that. I wanted to see history in the making, one of the most significant events of my lifetime up to that point, but they thought I should go to some same-old-shit get together for young people. There is no sense of reality outside those four very bleak walls.

Of course, I ignored them and watched his resignation speech. I am sure I remember that much better than whatever I would have heard at that gathering.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

NeverAgain wrote:I was chastised for staying home to watch President Nixon's resignation statement rather than going to some scheduled church Bible study or meeting or something like that. I wanted to see history in the making, one of the most significant events of my lifetime up to that point, but they thought I should go to some same-old-shit get together for young people. There is no sense of reality outside those four very bleak walls.

Of course, I ignored them and watched his resignation speech. I am sure I remember that much better than whatever I would have heard at that gathering.
I would have watched Nixon resign. He did ask God to bless the United States, so you still got some religion that night. 8-)
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

Well, the USA was certainly blessed that night.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

NeverAgain wrote:Well, the USA was certainly blessed that night.
That's right. :lol: See, you got your religion and a blessing all in one hour.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

My Mom and I watched President Nixon's resignation speech. It was on a Thursday night. Sad night at our house. We did, however, turn off the TV when Dan Rather came on to blather.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Struggler wrote:My Mom and I watched President Nixon's resignation speech. It was on a Thursday night. Sad night at our house. We did, however, turn off the TV when Dan Rather came on to blather.
I'd rather not watch Rather either. :lol: Look, I made another funny. I am on a roll in this thread, kinda like Putin was on a roll but I still have my shirt on.