CofC folk wisdom and sayings...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: CofC folk wisdom and sayings...

Post by Ivy »

Actually, I don't recall hearing the phrase "spawn of the devil" at my childhood cofc (the one against which I measure all others). I didn't hear the phrase until I was an adult.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Post by KLP »

"Too much sugar for a dime" (somebody is selling you a story or something is too much trouble)

"Powder and paint make'er look like what she ain't" (caulk and paint can make a job look like it was done right)

"If I saw a 20 dollar bill in the road I would bend over and pick it up" (when someone is saying don't worry about something because it only cost $20 bucks...or some amount)

"You can't fight city hall" "Rules is Rules" (stop wasting your time trying to change something that is stupid)

"Couldn't hit'em with a pitchfork" (when someone is willing to say pretty much anything in an argument...they are wiggling all over like a snake and you cannot nail them down)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

gordie91 wrote: Texas and Alabama are a little different but one thing that is similar, THE SPAWN OF THE DEVIL! I am Orthodox now, not RC, and my own mother used that phrase to describe me one time. She has since apologized but the whole Catholic bashing is quite universal. Orthodox resemble the RC in appearance and to a staunch CoC'er is all the same and fair game unless the baptist are making headlines. :lol:
The Orthodox get bashed for having icons. CoC ignores the immersion Baptism, and don't you also sing a capella? There is only one Orthodox church in my area, and it's a good 35 minutes away. A friend down in Birmingham is Orthodox and posts a lot about it on Facebook since converting a few years ago. I enjoy reading her posts about the celebrations they have together and such. She's been very happy in that church. I don't know what she was before (maybe Baptist).

Catholics and Baptists get talked about the most for sure. Catholics because they have more claim to being here the last 2000 years, and Baptists because they're so prevalent and are the competing fundie group.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

Ivy wrote:Actually, I don't recall hearing the phrase "spawn of the devil" at my childhood cofc (the one against which I measure all others). I didn't hear the phrase until I was an adult.
I've only been in coC the last 20 years, so some phrases have probably changed. :)

I think I'd be more likely to hear some good phrases if I visited a rural church. They'd have all the sayings you guys heard in childhood.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Shrubbery wrote:
gordie91 wrote: Texas and Alabama are a little different but one thing that is similar, THE SPAWN OF THE DEVIL! I am Orthodox now, not RC, and my own mother used that phrase to describe me one time. She has since apologized but the whole Catholic bashing is quite universal. Orthodox resemble the RC in appearance and to a staunch CoC'er is all the same and fair game unless the baptist are making headlines. :lol:
The Orthodox get bashed for having icons. CoC ignores the immersion Baptism, and don't you also sing a capella? There is only one Orthodox church in my area, and it's a good 35 minutes away. A friend down in Birmingham is Orthodox and posts a lot about it on Facebook since converting a few years ago. I enjoy reading her posts about the celebrations they have together and such. She's been very happy in that church. I don't know what she was before (maybe Baptist).

Catholics and Baptists get talked about the most for sure. Catholics because they have more claim to being here the last 2000 years, and Baptists because they're so prevalent and are the competing fundie group.
Some churches have an organ but not ours and the organ is used sparingly. It is safe to say that the singing is generally accepted to be with out the instruments. Triple immersion as well. I once made fun of my mom when they were getting their church ready for VBS. She was working on the "visuals" and I said something about the amount of icons they had in their church. She just frowned. This was before we left the CoC.

You know it occurs to me that it was ok for all the little kiddies to have these elaborate pictures that depict scenes from the bible but if the adults want to have them in the worship area where all the adults will be is a complete no no. Don't really remember what the explanation was except, "where in the bible do you read we have to have icons?". Probably the verse right before or after the verse about having "visuals" for the VBS.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

gordie91 wrote: You know it occurs to me that it was ok for all the little kiddies to have these elaborate pictures that depict scenes from the bible but if the adults want to have them in the worship area where all the adults will be is a complete no no. Don't really remember what the explanation was except, "where in the bible do you read we have to have icons?". Probably the verse right before or after the verse about having "visuals" for the VBS.
I've often wondered about that myself. They'll say you can't have pictures of Jesus and Bible scenes, because that's an engraven image, but my toddler brought home coloring pages of Jesus not 2 weeks ago. :lol:

And when it's time to teach about the Golden Calf in the little kid classes, we pull out a paper mache golden calf to set up in the room. Even the preschool kids sometimes make comments about that. :P
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Upon being asked why they don't try to evangelize a multiple times divorced and re-married sweet woman who often visited the church with family:

"Why honey, she never would get her marital situation straightened out".

That's one of the saddest, and most angering thing I heard in all my years.

Contrast that with something I once heard at a United Pentecostal Church I attended for a while:

"We just cast out the net and bring them in. It's up to Jesus to clean them up."
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

When referring to an upstanding, kind and generous individual of another faith, ethnicity, nationality, etc.:

"She would make a good Christian". :roll:
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:Upon being asked why they don't try to evangelize a multiple times divorced and re-married sweet woman who often visited the church with family:

Contrast that with something I once heard at a United Pentecostal Church I attended for a while:

"We just cast out the net and bring them in. It's up to Jesus to clean them up."
Never understood where the thoughtlessness came from...but I think as I look back now, that it was simply an outgrowth of their expertise in self-righteousness...it just results in reckless, insulting behavior....I remember when I was young, my Mom was so proud that her first grandchild was a girl adopted by my oldest brother....Well, you know, the guy that did the announcing in church said "(My Mom and Dad) announce the arrival of their first grandchild, a girl...she was adopted but we all know they love her just the same"....I really have nothing but four-letter words coming to my mind as I remember that [derogatory term] saying that....my Mom cried and cried in the car going home after church.....and she nonetheless forgave him....
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote:
Ivy wrote:Upon being asked why they don't try to evangelize a multiple times divorced and re-married sweet woman who often visited the church with family:

Never understood where the thoughtlessness came from...but I think as I look back now, that it was simply an outgrowth of their expertise in self-righteousness...it just results in reckless, insulting behavior....I remember when I was young, my Mom was so proud that her first grandchild was a girl adopted by my oldest brother....Well, you know, the guy that did the announcing in church said "(My Mom and Dad) announce the arrival of their first grandchild, a girl...she was adopted but we all know they love her just the same"....I really have nothing but four-letter words coming to my mind as I remember that [derogatory term] saying that....my Mom cried and cried in the car going home after church.....and she nonetheless forgave him....
So sad....so sorry your mom experienced this....sensitivity training needed and an apology to your family. What about other people in the church who are adoptees or have adopted children? Good grief.