Quick Hide the Beer!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Cootie Brown

Re: Quick Hide the Beer!

Post by Cootie Brown »

May I suggest you ladies try a white wine called Riesling. My wife doesn't like reds or merlot's because they often require an acquired taste, but she loved Riesling the first time she tried it. It's a very smooth tasting wine. If that works you might progress to a white Zinfandel. It's just a tad stronger.

I've acquired a taste for the deep reds and merlot's, but that took awhile.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:May I suggest you ladies try a white wine called Riesling. My wife doesn't like reds or merlot's because they often require an acquired taste, but she loved Riesling the first time she tried it. It's a very smooth tasting wine. If that works you might progress to a white Zinfandel. It's just a tad stronger.

I've acquired a taste for the deep reds and merlot's, but that took awhile.
Look at you trying to corrupt these fine people, Cootie!! Get behind me, Satan!! :lol:

I have been reading this book called "This Naked Mind", by Annie Grace. Turns out the cofc teetotalers are right......alcohol really is bad for you, just like they said. Dang it!!! Who knew? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am absolutely floored by the comments about people not liking wine, and never drinking or very rarely. Interesting!! Most people I know at least enjoy a glass of wine. But hey.....good for you who never partake!! Annie Grace would be happy for you...she says that alcohol is nothing more than a toxic poison that robs one of one's health.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

I think it was the total lack of any sweetness. I like grape juice. :)

I also don't drink coffee or carbonated beverages. Don't like the taste of any of those. I was an extremely picky child and remain very picky as an adult, but I've expanded my palate by easily 100%. For example, as a kid, I didn't like any beef at all - not even burgers. When I got pregnant with my oldest, I started to like Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers. :lol: That like never went away, and then I expanded to other burgers. My husband does a lot of BBQ'ing, and he's gotten me eating just about anything BBQ'd, as long as it uses a rub. I don't like BBQ sauce still. I can do soy based sauces like in Chinese food, but something about BBQ sauce and BBQ flavored items (like chips), I can tell it's in there first bite, and it's disgusting.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I thought alcohol in moderation was supposed to be good for your heart. Anyway, after my son’s descent into alcoholism, I have negative feelings about drinking at all. Many people have their lives destroyed by it.
Shrubbery, I agree about the lack of sweetness of wine. I don’t like coffee, either, unless it is something from Starbucks with Mocha or vanilla and lots of cream.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I'll have half a glass of wine on special occasions, but I don't actually like most of it particularly well, and some I can't stand (I hate Merlot - it tastes like the bottom of a mouse cage to me). Mostly I never think to open a bottle unless we are having company.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

agricola wrote:I'll have half a glass of wine on special occasions, but I don't actually like most of it particularly well, and some I can't stand (I hate Merlot - it tastes like the bottom of a mouse cage to me). Mostly I never think to open a bottle unless we are having company.
Do you dine on the bottom of mice cages a lot or just occasionally :?: :lol:
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Cootie Brown wrote:
agricola wrote:I'll have half a glass of wine on special occasions, but I don't actually like most of it particularly well, and some I can't stand (I hate Merlot - it tastes like the bottom of a mouse cage to me). Mostly I never think to open a bottle unless we are having company.
Do you dine on the bottom of mice cages a lot or just occasionally :?: :lol:

Yeah, agricola if you are in need pm me your address and I'll send you some gift cards to grocery stores in the area so we can expand your diet a little bit better. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I don’t drink. I can’t stand the smell of beer. I am not attracted to the smell of other alcohol I have sniffed. Besides, my brother died of chronic alcoholism recently, so I have very bad associations with booze. To top that, I take several prescriptions which should not be mixed with alcohol. Once an teetotaler, always a teetotaler, that’s me. :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Islam forbids me drinking alcoholic beverages for recreational use.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

B.H. wrote:Islam forbids me drinking alcoholic beverages for recreational use.
So, are you saying you drink alcohol but you don't drink it for recreational purposes? :o Hmmm?