Church Hymns (and Hers) That Got on Your Nerves

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Lev

Re: Church Hymns (and Hers) That Got on Your Nerves

Post by Lev »

Ivy wrote:Man, how embarrassing. Do the Mormons and JWs have their versions of silly songs? LOL
I've visited at a Mormon church. The songs were interesting. Many were new to me but didn't seem that different from COC songs. What was really strange (to me) was that some familiar old COC songs were also included in the Mormon hymnal but the little verse of scripture at the top that supposedly showed how that song was scriptural, I guess, was just as likely to be from the book of Mormon as from the Bible... even on old COC songs that I had sung before. It got me thinking.

Lev
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

We had a guy in the congregation who, when standing, would keep the beat by tapping the back of the pew in front of him -- until a deacon pointed out that was as mechanical as clapping, so he was told to quit. No mechanics of any kind!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

illuminator wrote:We had a guy in the congregation who, when standing, would keep the beat by tapping the back of the pew in front of him -- until a deacon pointed out that was as mechanical as clapping, so he was told to quit. No mechanics of any kind!
:lol: :P :lol: :P
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Beulah land. The song leader that led that used to swing his arm over his head like he was lassoing something.
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

I tend to judge a hymn by the harmony instead of the words. If I like the harmony, I don't really notice or care about the words. I'm in it for the musical feeling, not the content I guess.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
Lev

Post by Lev »

"I've got a mansion just over the hilltop" always struck me as totally un-Christian and materialistic.

Lev
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

Trust and Obey. I hate the word "obey." Sounds like pig latin. It was also one of those songs sang so often words and music blended into nothingness, just mindless noise. It had lost its meaning. It's like the Korean karaoke kid. Gibberish.
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

"I'm the One"...there was only one song leader that led this song and even some of the members complained about what a downer the song was. "Every time I sin on earth, I feel that I'm the one. I'm the one...who shouted 'Crucify!' I'm the one who stood and watched him die." Talk about depressing...

Also, Living For Jesus. If I remember correctly there were only three verses, but it felt like eight because the song was always led agonizingly slow and as they song went on it it slower and slower and slower...
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

MusicMan826 wrote:"I'm the One"...there was only one song leader that led this song and even some of the members complained about what a downer the song was. "Every time I sin on earth, I feel that I'm the one. I'm the one...who shouted 'Crucify!' I'm the one who stood and watched him die." Talk about depressing...

Also, Living For Jesus. If I remember correctly there were only three verses, but it felt like eight because the song was always led agonizingly slow and as they song went on it it slower and slower and slower...
Yes, yes, and yes! Everyone sings "Living for Jesus" SO slowly. You feel like you're dying by the end, if you're still awake.

I haven't heard that first one. Might be good in a C of C comedy sketch.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

:twisted:

Only ol' regglars sing slower than the coc!