Doctrine?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Doctrine?

Post by agricola »

The OT was passe except when it wasn't. The NT was all that was needed except when it didn't (sufficiently) tell something and then the OT ruled. The ten commandments were in the OT but they were still in effect, except the Sabbath was Sunday, and the graven images part was out....

like watching table tennis, sometimes.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
StuckatCoC

Post by StuckatCoC »

Unfortunately, it's not just the COC that is confused about this. From some of the sermons I have listened to online, to articles I have read, this is a problem among many. I just think from what I hear and have read that CoC are some of the biggest offenders.

The gospel is supposed to mean good news. However, it seems for the most part what I experience is every time something good is mentioned, it is always followed by a buttttttttttt.. Then whatever was previously said is completely watered down. Jesus told Peter to feed the sheep. I don't think he meant for it to be laced with spiritual cyanide. That is what I feel like I'm getting on most Sunday's.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

I agree. The CoC gets old testament/new testament/old covenant/new covenant and old/new law confused.

In Jer 31:33, Hebrews 8:10 and Hebrews 10:16 it says the new covenant would be the law written on our hearts - not nailed to the cross.

Psalm 111:7 and 119:151-152 say the law is forever, echoed by Jesus in Luke 16:17 and Matt 5:18.

We are saved by Grace alone (Eph 2:8) and follow the law by spirit now rather than letter (Romans 7:6 and 2nd Cor 3:6) but the law remains.

The CoC has these things confused, but they are very clear.