So, some Jehovah's witness knocked on my door...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
GuitarHero

Re: So, some Jehovah's witness knocked on my door...

Post by GuitarHero »

ena wrote:
GMan wrote:I can see B.H. inviting them in for coffee and discussion then when the conversation is really intense, out come the belly dancers.
I like belly dancers. They get quite warm after with all the muscle movement. Stand close and their bodies radiate heat. They supply the entertainent. It is an art form and tougher than it looks. Pole dancing can require a great deal of strength as well.
Perhaps, but there is not much worse than getting a lap-dance from a sweaty stripper.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ena

Post by ena »

B.H. wrote:I wonder if belly dancers really like being belly dancers or they do it because there are no other job opportunities.
It is a form of entertainment. They seem to enjoy it. It is a strenuous skill. Watch "Dancing with the Stars.' You'll find both men and women who love dancing as art forms. Even toddlers love rhythm. Some of these women have incredible bodies and movement. The problem is sorting out the star from the amateur. There often is not much difference. People get better with practice. You see it is flashbacks they show. Common dance styles are: Paso Double, Jive, Fox Trot, Tango, Rumba to name a few. Some are hostile or loving. Every human emotion is depicted. They are graded on how good they project the expected emotion. The judges are former dancers themselves. They sometimes give a quick example of what they mean. At almost every turn what the Church of Christ prefers is inhuman. Great for robots. It is that mindset you do well to flee. Even the Muslim world has trouble here. I enjoy a good set of legs. I cannot say why. I cannot enjoy a day looking at ankles from under a burka. Every spring the women would start wearing shorts. I could easily spend a day watching that. That is not uncommon for a leg man.
ena

Post by ena »

GuitarHero wrote:Perhaps, but there is not much worse than getting a lap-dance from a sweaty stripper.
Never had that. Even they workout. I have watched exotic dancers. Some bars have them. A friend liked one in town. What he liked was the great food. I think he was trying to get me to go. I visited that place in the early 80's. Not much interest on my part. Sexually suggestive dancing. What would the average CoCer do? :lol: There are many great places to eat around here without high prices or dancing girls. My wife and I did visit a Moroccan restaurant. They came around with lavers and towel so you could wash your right hand to eat with. Do not eat with your left hand. It is insulting in that culture. The left hand is for cleaning ones behind. Sorry about the bluntness. The food was great. I like middle eastern spicing. There was belly dancing. In the food world each culture has its gift. Each province in India has its own specialty. I love both Indian and Chinese. The cookbooks are 5000 years old. Indians do not short on spices neither do the Chinese. They have 5000 years of experimentation with spice mixes. In European cooking spices were expensive. It does mean bad just not as varied. The European gift is in cheeses. I have never seen cheese in a Chinese restaurant. The closest thing to it is fermented black beans. Don't think the Chinese don't like hot.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

Yeah, I'm aware of the Chinese proclivity for spicy food.

There is cheese here, as well, but it's almost all imported, and not something that is served routinely. It is served in some dishes, and is becoming more and more popular.

But yeah, eating in a US Chinese restaurant will not prepare one for the real thing.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

zeek wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of the Chinese proclivity for spicy food.

There is cheese here, as well, but it's almost all imported, and not something that is served routinely. It is served in some dishes, and is becoming more and more popular.

But yeah, eating in a US Chinese restaurant will not prepare one for the real thing.
I read that China was to blame for the ridiculous price of pecans these days. It seems that they have discovered the pecan and it is in vogue and the Chinese demand for pecans has created a shortage.

They can have mine for free. I don't eat them unless they are just a part of a dish I happen to be offered. Pecan trees are a dime a dozen here in Texas. They grow wild, out in the middle of nowhere.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

zeek wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of the Chinese proclivity for spicy food.

I read that China was to blame for the ridiculous price of pecans these days. It seems that they have discovered the pecan and it is in vogue and the Chinese demand for pecans has created a shortage.
It's OK. You guys are paying them back with the price of peanuts.
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

and they went into their pitch and I challenged them on a some things and they reacted just like someone in the CoC.
You are nicer than I am. Right after the great tornado outbreak in April/May 2011 (Alabama/Missouri etc) they came around with disaster preparedness/THE END IS COMING! WILL YOU BE SAVED? pamphlets.

I told them their timing was terrible, they were being insensitive, and pretty much kicked them off my porch.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I talked to some JW's several years ago and actually learned a lot. They said the Bible does not teach that you have an immortal soul. I tried so hard to prove them wrong, but searched and asked questions of people who would know, and they were right! That whole concept comes from Plato and the Greeks. Also, like someone else mentioned, they know more about an earthly kingdom. So, in a way, they started me on a path that helped me learn my way out of the CofC.
Anyone who only reads CofC literature will never really learn anything. I read stuff from many religious groups. I read historical things. It was a long journey. Also, things happened in my husband's life that caused him to question. We were able to walk away from CofC together.