Jimmy Allen

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
chrisso99

Re: Jimmy Allen

Post by chrisso99 »

Ahhh Jimmy. What a simpleton he was. Every spring semester started with a week of chapel services where Jimmy preached about fire and brimstone. At the end of the week we're sing Just as I am as the invitation song and he'd keep repeating verses until sufficient numbers of people had come forward to be baptized or confess their grievous sins.

The only good news was that I knew my 9:00am class, which was usually my mandatory bible class would start late those days.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I think he came to my church once when I was a young kid. Something came up and we did not go that night. Gosh, darn it, from talking to all of you here I feel like I was deprived.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
cathym

Post by cathym »

Just As I Am was never my favorite, but thanks to Jimmy Allen, I now cringe whenever I hear it -- thankfully, it's not popular among the Disciples, as far as I can tell. ;)
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

chrisso99 wrote:Ahhh Jimmy. What a simpleton he was. Every spring semester started with a week of chapel services where Jimmy preached about fire and brimstone. At the end of the week we're sing Just as I am as the invitation song and he'd keep repeating verses until sufficient numbers of people had come forward to be baptized or confess their grievous sins.

The only good news was that I knew my 9:00am class, which was usually my mandatory bible class would start late those days.
I took one of his Bible classes, Acts or Romans (can't remember).

I do remember the verse repetition that went on until a sufficient number of people grudgingly came forward, probably to confess anything to stop hearing that awful song.
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

booknerd, you are my hero! Seriously, that took bravery I wouldn't have had at that age. I'm impressed.
In the mid 70's, he spoke at the church I grew up in. Can't remember if it was a meeting or just a sermon, but will never forget his rant against abortion. Said if his daughter were raped by a negro (yes, actually used that word) that he would not allow her to have an abortion. I got up and walked out. He yelled out at me as I was walking out the back doors to the foyer and said something like, well just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong. I was only in high school, but it was one of my proudest moments.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I never heard of Jimmy Allen...but when I see this thread pop up I always think of Jimmy Dickens.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Little Jimmy Dickens? Didn't he die recently?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

booknerd wrote:In the mid 70's, he spoke at the church I grew up in. Can't remember if it was a meeting or just a sermon, but will never forget his rant against abortion. Said if his daughter were raped by a negro (yes, actually used that word) that he would not allow her to have an abortion.
Totally believe this. I can actually hear him saying that in his loud, booming voice.

Oh well.

What interesting memories we have from C of C. If nothing else.
chrisso99

Post by chrisso99 »

I'm no fan of jimmy, but he was actually known at Harding for being a lead voice for integration of Harding university. That was quite an issue at the time and he was definitely out on a limb with his pro-integration stance. Hard to see him saying anything racist from a pulpit, maybe he was trying to reach an audience he knew was racist. I don't know. The guy was well known for being very aggressive about racial injustice. Here's a quote from a sermon in 1971:

If our people are not right on this issue, it is because our preachers have not dealt with the matter. Preaching brethren, I am not trying to judge anyone but I wonder how many of us are cowards? Just plain down right cowards! Are we so in love with our positions or so afraid we might offend narrow-minded church leaders that we simply seal our lips … When are we going to begin to instruct our people along these lines? Is the church of the Lord to be last religious institution in America to speak out for racial justice?

I don't like the guy, but you gotta give credit where credit is due.