Public Displays of Affection at CoC colleges

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Shane R

Re: Public Displays of Affection at CoC colleges

Post by Shane R »

I graduated from Regent University -the one in Virginia Beach founded by the televangelist Pat Robertson Inot the more respected institution in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)- and there were very strict rules on alcohol consumption. Total prohibition on campus and a fairly stern policy for those who could figure out HRRT bus schedules and find their way to a bar off-campus. But I was an online student so it didn't matter. No co-ed dorms of course but not a lot of restriction on the male-female dynamics on campus, at least according to the student handbook. Looking at the alumni magazine and some of the stuff that goes up on Facebook, I get the sense the school serves the stereotype of being a place for the girls to get a 'Mrs.' for the on-campus students. But only a small percentage of the student body is residential.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:29 pm I'm glad I went to state college and State University. I didn't go around getting drunk at parties, having sex, and doing other stuff. But I'm glad to know I was free to do so if I had wanted :lol:
Exactly!! Didn't do much other than work, study, and at times go to church, but was free to do whatever if I wanted.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:19 pm
B.H. wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:29 pm I'm glad I went to state college and State University. I didn't go around getting drunk at parties, having sex, and doing other stuff. But I'm glad to know I was free to do so if I had wanted :lol:
Exactly!! Didn't do much other than work, study, and at times go to church, but was free to do whatever if I wanted.
I think I got a much better more rounded education.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:00 am
Ivy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:19 pm
I think I got a much better more rounded education.
Absolutely did!! I wouldn't change a thing. Very enlightening for a sheltered small-town girl as I was then. I'll never forget dating my
first atheist. That blew my mind but it was very positive.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

zeek wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:43 pm
Ivy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:21 pm
zeek wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:58 pm I knew a man who swore he was expelled from Freed in the early 1950s for holding hands with his future wife.
Hopefully he then enrolled in a better, state university where adult students were treated like adults. Did he say?
He finished his education at Lipscomb and was a respected gospel preacher for his entire life. He and the woman he so shamelessly held hands with raised five children together managing to send all five to college. They remained married some 55 years until he dropped dead mid sermon one Sunday night from a coronary.

In my opinion, Freedies are a bit cultish. In my experience every Freed grad I've met thought they were just a little better than the average church member even those who had degrees from other coC schools.
Did he have a dislike or any ill feelings toward FHC about this or did he feel they were right? And where did he send his children to college?
zeek

Post by zeek »

longdistancerunner wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:43 am
zeek wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:43 pm
Ivy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:21 pm

Hopefully he then enrolled in a better, state university where adult students were treated like adults. Did he say?
He finished his education at Lipscomb and was a respected gospel preacher for his entire life. He and the woman he so shamelessly held hands with raised five children together managing to send all five to college. They remained married some 55 years until he dropped dead mid sermon one Sunday night from a coronary.

In my opinion, Freedies are a bit cultish. In my experience every Freed grad I've met thought they were just a little better than the average church member even those who had degrees from other coC schools.
Did he have a dislike or any ill feelings toward FHC about this or did he feel they were right? And where did he send his children to college?
Actually, he was pretty stand up about the whole thing and owned that he knew what the rule was and he broke the rule; therefore, his expulsion was his own fault. I'm not sure where all their children went to college, but I know the youngest went to Freed.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel