Trying to enjoy services

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ashes

Re: Trying to enjoy services

Post by Ashes »

B.H. wrote:The CoC would condemn God for putting on a big show at Sinai.
:lol: Not to mention the big show at Mt. Carmel.
Real blessings come from people.
musicman

Post by musicman »

[quote][/Worship services in the CoC were never meant to be enjoyed, they were meant to be endured!
quote]

Very true! The services were all about making sure we performed the "5 Acts of Worship."

Songs and sermon usually had no connection to each other. The sermon was often a diatribe against "denominations" or some rambling discourse about why "we're RIGHT and everybody else is WRONG."

C o C services were really endurance contests.
Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

musicman wrote:Songs and sermon usually had no connection to each other.
One of the many things I like about going to a liturgical church is that the sermon is supposed to be based on the scripture readings assigned for the day, and our music director and the pastor try to pick songs that fit that theme, so it all goes together and isn't just a bunch of stuff chosen at random.
I know a little about a lot of things...just enough to make me dangerous.
http://normalisnotanoption.blogspot.com
Jleeokeeffe

Post by Jleeokeeffe »

LOL! Skip verse 3! Does every coc congregation do that????
J57
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

Pitts S2C wrote:How much enjoyment can one get after studying Paul’s missionary journeys for the millionth time?
Oh, my...isn't that the truth? How many times have we sat through yet another class talking about those missionary journeys? Bloody Perga, Pisidia, and Pamphilia! :twisted: :lol:
cathym

Post by cathym »

I enjoy services at the DoC church I've been visiting.

I have enjoyed many sermons from some of the preachers I've known over my time in the CoC, and sometimes enjoyed the singing, but honestly, I can't really say that I ever found the service enjoyable overall.

I hadn't realized how tired I was of hearing "separate and apart" until I wasn't hearing it every week.

Now, I'm actually looking forward to Sunday, because I want to be there; it's not simply a duty.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

You all are good little cofseeerz.........enjoyment of anything, especially SERVICES,
will put you at risk of hell fire. Because it ain't right.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

margin overa wrote:
Pitts S2C wrote:How much enjoyment can one get after studying Paul’s missionary journeys for the millionth time?
Oh, my...isn't that the truth? How many times have we sat through yet another class talking about those missionary journeys? Bloody Perga, Pisidia, and Pamphilia! :twisted: :lol:

I knocked doors for my grandaparent's CoC one year. I went all over Seven Points, Gun Barrel City, Tool, Mankin, Trinidad, and Eustace. Why can't I write a book called the Acts of BH?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
margin overa wrote:

I knocked doors for my grandaparent's CoC one year. I went all over Seven Points, Gun Barrel City, Tool, Mankin, Trinidad, and Eustace. Why can't I write a book called the Acts of BH?

I'm impressed, BH. Such a good little cofc boy!!! I have to admit that never in my entire cofc career did I knock doors.
Wait. Did I knock doors once with you, Moogy? I might have gone with Moogy once.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Ivy wrote: I'm impressed, BH. Such a good little cofc boy!!! I have to admit that never in my entire cofc career did I knock doors.
Wait. Did I knock doors once with you, Moogy? I might have gone with Moogy once.
Ivy, I have no recollection of ever knocking doors for the COC, either with you or without you. The only outreach I did was passing out flyers for gospel meetings. I did that several times. I would always drop it in the mailbox or stick it on the door, hoping to avoid any actual contact with real people. :lol:
While passing out flyers early one Sunday morning, a guy drove up and asked for a copy. I approached his car and invited him to services, only to discover he had lured me closer so he could expose his private man parts to me :o without getting out of his car. Boy do I wish you had been with me then. I freaked out and walked away, quickly, and when l looked back to try to get his license plate number, he was backing away from me,and the front plate had been removed. I did call the cops. I even missed Bible Class due to the discussion with the police officer. I think I called to let someone know my little kid's class would need a substitute teacher that morning. I think I got an excused absence. ;)
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages