Fear

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Scott

Re: Fear

Post by Scott »

Everyone's statements here just ring so true. Helps me realize leaving was the correct decision. It's nice not being alone in this decision.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Scott wrote:Everyone's statements here just ring so true. Helps me realize leaving was the correct decision. It's nice not being alone in this decision.
Yes, the company is great on the broad way where everyone is laughing and having a good time until they are eaten by Morlocks.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Scott

Post by Scott »

klp wrote:
Scott wrote:Everyone's statements here just ring so true. Helps me realize leaving was the correct decision. It's nice not being alone in this decision.
Yes, the company is great on the broad way where everyone is laughing and having a good time until they are eaten by Morlocks.
True but on the other hand highly possible Coc is just Satan disguised as an Angel of light.
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

Well, he is always seeking whom he may devour.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Maybe, just maybe, it's the Church of Christ telling it's members what their itching ears want to hear.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Aarin

Post by Aarin »

Ascentionist wrote:Looking back I can see clearly that the control comes from instilling fear and guilt. At the time, growing up in the coc, I never saw it that way. I didn't think I was being controlled. I didn't think an unrational fear of hell was keeping me from questioning the church. I didn't think shame was keeping me from inviting my friends or in sharing the gospel with others.

The one thing that dogged me most though was that I didn't understand why I felt so inadequate as a Christian. It's all interconnected.
--------
That's just it: the irrational fear (being taught) felt normal. I felt that something wasn't quite right, but took years to connect the dots.
" Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change."
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

I can still hear one of my old biddy relatives whining about how we're "s'posed to fyur (how she pronounced it) th' LARD."
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

I was mortified by the church. I honestly did not want anybody I knew at school to know that I was a Church of Christ person. I was actually relieved to go to Freed-Hardeman so that I didn't have to hide it anymore.

My best friend and my girlfriend knew. I took her to church with me exactly once. She attended a gospel meeting with me, and the poor thing made the mistake of wearing a spaghetti strap top on a hot day. She wasn't showy or anything. Just looked like a 15-year-old should look on a hot day. Oh the words that came out of people's mouths. Also, she was a Baptist, and I was not to be unequally yoked. I'm pretty sure those fuckheaded rednecks turned her off for religion forevermore that night. I know it killed our relationship.

Though I am happily married with a kid now, she and I still keep touch and are great friends. I often wonder how it would've turned out, had we not been from such different religious worlds.
Aarin

Post by Aarin »

It's really sad sometimes to look back on all of the relationships that God destroyed because of how influential the CoC/teachings were.
" Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change."
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

margin overa wrote:Well, he is always seeking whom he may devour.
and roaming to and fro.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~