That Time of Year Again...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
JKendallDane

Re: That Time of Year Again...

Post by JKendallDane »

Our congregation wasn't just satisfied with the spring meeting...we had to have a fall meeting also. The other big cOc in town did the same thing. Then add in the annual Ohio Valley Lectureship which expected every congregation within a hundred mile radius of the host congregation to support it, and we wiped out at least three to four full weeks every year.

And if one of the men of the congregation held a week-long meeting at any one of the dozen or so country churches...well, take a guess at the pressure to help support that that came along with the announcement. :roll:
God gave us dogs so we would understand love, and then gave us cats so we could comprehend serving others.
KLP

Post by KLP »

One downside was that being a PK in onsite parsonage, you had to keep room and house clean all week (on top of homework). Upside was that often preachers were pretty funny and entertaining. Back in the day...before all these hotels and restaurants and eating out being so common you got to eat at some houses with some pretty good cooks as the preacher got fed. Always with the food and jokes during these times.

Yes, of course "showtime" from 7:45pm to 8:30pm was sort of a drag, but the other part sure broke up some of the boredom. But you better have your room clean and don't dare make a mess in the house. :)

I liked driving on week nights to other congregation in the big city with my dad...usually crash out on the way home. Hopefully you got to drive by a drive-in movie screen and catch some glimpse of a movie from the rear windshield...forget seatbelts...that was the best. We never went to drive-in movies. Worst was when it was raining and hot...well at least till we got air conditioning in the car, then it was much better.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Wow! I can't imagine going to that sort of thing! That is an amazing commitment of time! Sometimes during my childhood and teenagehood, we (my mom, sister, and I) would actually manage to go to Sunday School, the second service, the Sunday night service, and Wednesday evening service for a few weeks in a row. That was about it for us!

That being said, every once in a while, during one of those things, my mom would go see a speaker / preacher that she particularly liked. All I had to say was, "Mom, I need to study!", and I could stay home. She wasn't a fanatic about it, fortunately. I actually do remember her saying things like "All so-and-so does is churchy things. Doesn't she have a life?"
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

zeek wrote:
Tsathoggua wrote:Wow! I can't imagine going to that sort of thing! That is an amazing commitment of time! Sometimes during my childhood and teenagehood, we (my mom, sister, and I) would actually manage to go to Sunday School, the second service, the Sunday night service, and Wednesday evening service for a few weeks in a row. That was about it for us!

That being said, every once in a while, during one of those things, my mom would go see a speaker / preacher that she particularly liked. All I had to say was, "Mom, I need to study!", and I could stay home. She wasn't a fanatic about it, fortunately. I actually do remember her saying things like "All so-and-so does is churchy things. Doesn't she have a life?"
HELL BOUND SLACKERS ONE AND ALL!!!

Yup, that was us!