So, some Jehovah's witness knocked on my door...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: So, some Jehovah's witness knocked on my door...

Post by agricola »

Plus LDS is at least ORGANIZED. They have a program and a plan and a support system, which is not anything most coc's can really make a claim to.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I agree that in all my dealings the Mormons were nicer in most regards...but still crazy. JW are just way to edgy. Neither group in my experience is particularly educated about the history of their cult or at least they always claim to never know anything or have thought about the most obvious stuff that would be problematic. Blatant changes to their groups literature and prophecy is always a blank stare. Mentioning of past lawsuits and doctrines and abuses by holy leaders is all but unknown. But yes, the Mormons are nicer "generally" but I am thinking there is some crap goes down behind closed doors and compounds where things are not that polite and nice.

But at least the Mormons are willing to get baptized for me without my knowledge so that I can be saved....I have yet to find a JW that is willing to get me saved without my submitting to their whacky kingdom hall time commitments.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I wonder if the water is always cold and the water fountains in the church houses always work on these Mormon planets?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

LDS churches have basketball courts. And kitchens.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

And LDS members are allowed to dance. :mrgreen:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Moogy wrote:And LDS members are allowed to dance. :mrgreen:
They have big families. I wonder if it correlates. 8-)
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Lev

Post by Lev »

B.H. wrote:
Moogy wrote:And LDS members are allowed to dance. :mrgreen:
They have big families. I wonder if it correlates. 8-)
You know why COCers don't have sex standing up, right?

Lev
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

So if the neighbors see them they don't think that they are dancing! :lol:

So true. I got in a discussion with someone who said that a married couple shouldn't even dance in their own house. Ummmm, yeah. Logic went right out the window on that one!
KLP

Post by KLP »

NO, because the approved example is to "lay" with your wife?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
GMan

Post by GMan »

I could have danced all night but I was a Campbellite.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire