Extemporaneous Prayer

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: Extemporaneous Prayer

Post by B.H. »

Struggler wrote:I heard a biddy say more than once that a C of C service is just like what was in the "early church," save for the styles of clothing.
How asinine.

I doubt they had pews in their churches.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

B.H. wrote:
Struggler wrote:I heard a biddy say more than once that a C of C service is just like what was in the "early church," save for the styles of clothing.
How asinine.

I doubt they had pews in their churches.
Or ... the located preacher, little individual communion cups, designated song leaders, 'church' buildings, invitation song (alter call), contribution plate thrown in your face every week, Sunday School, Wednsday night classes, and a host of other differences. Yeah, exactly the same!
Unity in diversity
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

B.H. I am interested in knowing what parallels there are to mosque practices, meaning how are services today different from the original services? (I am asking about a typical service in a U.S. city in a version of Islam that is non-violent.)
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

AtPeace wrote:B.H. I am interested in knowing what parallels there are to mosque practices, meaning how are services today different from the original services? (I am asking about a typical service in a U.S. city in a version of Islam that is non-violent.)

That's a good question. I'll try to find an answer for you. I will tell you there haven't been any divisions over whether or not we can have a mosque Friday School before communal services, nor have we had any fights whether we can use Allah's money to help orphans out. 8-)
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

There is no authority for discussing denominations. The word is not in the Bible. Let them put that one in their pipe and smoke it. :lol:
ena

Post by ena »

B.H. wrote:nor have we had any fights whether we can use Allah's money to help orphans out. 8-)
There is no NI mosque? :lol:
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

ena wrote:
B.H. wrote:nor have we had any fights whether we can use Allah's money to help orphans out. 8-)
There is no NI mosque? :lol:
Nope. Not even any one cup ones either. Most don't think using instruments in worship is right though.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

There was this one guy at a congregation when I was in elementary school... holy shit did he pray forever! There were only a few men in the congregation, and a lot of them would do everything but lead a prayer, and so it was always him, and he always got the closing prayer. And of course we had to stand for that one. It couldn't possibly have been the opening one, when we got to sit down, and where we could have at least had the mercy of being able to doze off during it. I remember bringing a friend one day, and he kept looking at me the whole entire time, as if to say "is this guy ever going to shut up?"

Naturally, everybody in the congregation praised him for such wordy, thoughtful prayers. I guess it made us all more holy or something.

The way I believe these days, though, that is an awfully damn long time to stand there and pretty much talk to yourself. They've locked people away for things like that...
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

Whenever I would have to endure those long repetitive, monotone, robotic prayers, I couldn't help but mumble under my breath, "Will you please shut up you legalistic Pharisee!" Naturally preach Luke 18:9-14, but don't practice.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

How asinine.
:lol: I would like to see her reaction to the book Pagan Christianity. "Lies! All lies!"
Real blessings come from people.