Things We've Taken

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
lvmaus

Re: Things We've Taken

Post by lvmaus »

Lev wrote:
lvmaus wrote:It's rather difficult - if not impossible - to gain worthwhile and accurate Bible knowledge when everything we read/study is processed through a CoC filter. The CoC has a long history of approaching God's Word wearing blinders and colored glasses, thinking all the time they are Bible students ... I think they are often just legends in their own slime.
I get what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree. It seems to me that it's just a matter of throwing out the bad and keeping the good. In this case, throwing out the misguided theology (or in COCese, "doctrine") and keeping the simple familiarity with the scriptures. Maybe "Bible knowledge" was too broad. Someone above on the thread called it "BCV knowledge" or something like that. That may be a better phrase.

Lev
lev wrote: I get what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree.

I seldom agree with myself! :D

BCV appears to be engrained in their DNA and rolls effortlessly off their tongues; just have NO faith whatsoever in their peculiar mix of proof texts.
Unity in diversity
Heloves

Post by Heloves »

Works orientation. A denial of the Holy Spirit in many groups. John give us some idea of what we will do in Heaven, but we have help, we don't have to figure it out ourselves.
Christ also says disciples will rule and reign. The coC doctrine of a new earth as I now see it does not quite jibe.
Rebellion and cynicism come from the heart. Situational ethics are a cop out.
Gone4Good

Post by Gone4Good »

I've taken a thorough knowledge of the Old Testament history and laws. My husband is constantly amazed how much OT I know. (I'm constantly amazed at how LITTLE New Testament I knew before leaving the COC.)

That's the only positive thing I've taken. The rest is all negative, and I'm at a point in my life where I prefer to focus on the good.